Paid Subscriptions Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eiko
    Regarless of the fees, they have by far the most acceptance and users out there. Just last year I received a LOT of snail-mailed checks, now, 90% comes via paypal.
    Just be careful relying on them. They don't abide by banking rules and regulations and can cut you off from your money without advance notice. Many have complained and a class action lawsuit is pending.

Comment

Originally posted by wential
      PayPal doesn't support using bank account options only. Considering the fees they charge for credit card payments, it would be nice to block them. The only option you have is to refuse them manually.
      If germans have the option to use a bank-account, they prefer it over a credit-card. So this is not the problem. Problem is: They cannot pay, without entering at least one credit-card. And if they have none... That's why I would love to see Firstgate to be activated as an option. You don't need a credit-card there. There a credit-card is only an option and the bank-account is the needed thing

Comment

Originally posted by Mirical Bernd
        Two things:

- Is there any way to use just a bank-account when using Paypal? Does anyone know that? I can't find an option to it. I know, it's not a vB-question. But someone using the subscriptions might have solved it

- But the bigger one: Is there a chance that vB will support Firstgate (www.firstgate.de) in the future? Germans usually don't have a credit-card and need to be able to pay via a bank-account.

I would appreciate an answer
        Hi Mirical,

As your neighbour I run a Dutch website for people who live in the Netherlands (surprise!) and Belgium. One of my plans for this year is setting up a Foundation to support my website/forum. One of the reasons for setting up this Foundation is that I can have a seperate bank-account for this. I will be in need of Donations in the future when my site grows, so people can make donations through this bank-account then.

I was pleased to hear about the Paid Subscription feature in VB3 : this will allow me to let my users make a Donation for my website through my website. Great. I have little experience with PayPal, so a few questions here:

* I guess I have to setup a PayPal Bussiness account instead of a Personal account for this Foundation, because I've read on the PayPal site:

PayPal charges Premier and Business accounts to receive payments. Personal accounts are free, but may not receive credit card payments.
        I want to be able to receive credit card payments so setting up a personal account is no use apparently? But the majority of my memberbase does NOT have a creditcard, so how exactly does Paypal work when a user does not have a creditcard? Apparently it is possible to receive money without the sender owning a creditcard (well... without the owner using a creditcard to pay me through Paypal), because I myself own a personal Paypal account and just received some credit from a company on my account. I just added my personal bank-account and transferred this credit to my bank-account. I will investigate further on this.... it's not clear to me exactly how Paypal works yet.
        Last edited by Grover; Tue 3 Feb '04, 6:58am.
        How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

You should be asking PayPal these questions.

Comment

Originally posted by wential
            You should be asking PayPal these questions.
            Yes, ofcourse I can do that also. But having a lot of members overhere who actually are experienced with PayPal makes it a valid question overhere IMHO. Especially since Vb3 offers PayPal integration : discussing the abilities of PayPal is beneficial for those who are planning to setup Paid Subscriptions in my opinion.

Comment

@Grover: afaik you can only have IPN-support (that's the thing, whichs sends an OK from Paypal to your board, that user xy has paid), only on a business-account.

I recently found out: People can only pay via a bank-account, when they transfer some money to Paypal (which was answered by the support btw). Paypal cannot get the money from their bank-accounts.

Comment

Wow, sounds like some cool enhancements since my first subscription questions back in the vB3b1 days. One remaining question is what date is used for the subscription date and renewal? I hope it has it's own database field now. Several months ago I was needing to drive off the join date, which causes problems for my existing users before I implement subscriptions. Do I also have to create the various usergroups and use promotions to move users between permission groups as they register to be upgraded or expire to be downgraded?

Comment

An expiry-userdate has been implemented into the database - as far as I can see.

You will need to make usergroups with the permissions a user can have when paying. And of course the subscription itself. But the new system allows several secondary usergroups to be inherited. And if I understand it correct, by expiration the only thing which is done, is the removal of the secondary usergroup for the subscription.

@Staff: Please correct anything, if I am wrong

Comment

@Grover: afaik you can only have IPN-support (that's the thing, whichs sends an OK from Paypal to your board, that user xy has paid), only on a business-account.

I recently found out: People can only pay via a bank-account, when they transfer some money to Paypal (which was answered by the support btw). Paypal cannot get the money from their bank-accounts.
                    Thanks for your info.

There are 3 kinds of accounts you can have with PayPal:

=======================
                    Personal accounts are for individual use only and may not receive credit card payments. Personal accounts include all of our Core Features.

Premier accounts are for members who will have a high transaction volume, need to accept credit card payments, or would like access to our special features. Premier accounts include all of our Core Features, as well as our Premium Features.

Business accounts are for business use only. Business accounts include all of our Core Features, as well as our Premium Features.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Core Features: Personal, Premier, and Business Accounts
                    Send Money
                    Send payments to anyone with an email address
                    Request Money
                    Request payments from anyone with an email address
                    Auction Tools
                    Accept PayPal directly from your auction listings
                    Automatically invoice your buyers
                    Automatically remind bidders about your auctions
                    Accept payments on your website
                    Create PayPal buttons and accept instant payments from your website
                    International Payments
                    Send and receive payments with members in 38 countries
                    Account Insurance
                    Your PayPal balance is FDIC insured up to $100,000.00 USD
                    Downloadable log
                    Download your account history into a spreadsheet or Quicken
                    Email-based customer service

Premium Features: Premier and Business Accounts Only
                    Accept unlimited credit card payments
                    Subscriptions and Recurring Payments
                    Implement subscription payments for your content or services
                    Multiple Logins
                    Give your employees limited access to your PayPal account
                    7 day-a-week customer service call center

Fees
                    It is always FREE to:
                    Open an account
                    Send money
                    Add funds
                    Withdraw money to a U.S. bank account
                    Only Premier and Business accounts are charged to receive payments.
                    See our Fee Schedule for details.
                    =======================

I am not sure yet what the difference is between Premier and Business accounts, but I will ask over at PayPal.com
                    Apparently one of the differences is the fact that only the latter supports IPN, so you have no choice but to select a Business account when you want it work with VB3 I guess. The drawback is....that there are fees included with a Business account.
                    Last edited by Grover; Wed 4 Feb '04, 10:37pm.

Comment

Some more about the differences

Who is required to have a Premier or Business account?

If you plan to accept credit card payments, you must have a Premier or Business account. If you would like to have an account under a company or group name, you must have a Business account. PayPal's three account types are designed to accommodate the different needs of our members:

Personal accounts are reserved for individual use and are designed primarily for people who would like to send payments. Personal accounts may not receive payments funded with a credit card.
                      Premier accounts are for members who will have a high transaction volume, need to accept credit card payments, or would like access to our special features.
                      Business accounts are for business use only. Business accounts include all of the features of Premier accounts, and also have the ability to give multiple users some level of access to the account.

(Taken from the PayPal website)

Comment

@Grover: So I am right - which makes sense. At least in Germany: If you gain profit from a website, you are running a business - even if it is small

Comment

Ah.... I read this on their site:

==========
                          You do not need to add funds to your PayPal account to send money. You may also send money instantly using a bank account or credit card. By adding a checking or savings account, you can transfer funds from your bank account to your PayPal account using Electronic Funds Transfer.

If you have a Dutch bank account, you will need to initiate a bank transfer through your bank to add funds to your PayPal account. When you transfer funds from your bank account, your PayPal Sending Limit will be increased by the amount of your transfer
                          ==========

Reading the first paragraph you see that sending money from your bankaccount IS possible , when you first transfer it to your PayPal account. Like you said indeed. BUT.... apparently NOT when you own a Dutch bankaccount! You have to GO TO YOUR BANK by yourself to complete a banktransfer....

People have to do a lot apparently if they want to make a Donation for my site, through my site....

Comment

@Grover: So I am right - which makes sense. At least in Germany: If you gain profit from a website, you are running a business - even if it is small
                            Well.... my website is a non-commercial one. A Foundation is a non-profit organisation. Still I am forced to select a Bussiness account, because of the creditcard acceptance and IPN.... hmmm.

Comment

As I get closer to implementing my subscriptions I want to make sure I don't have any holes in the complete process. Right now my concern is at the point where "Free/Existing Users" can actually subscribe. What is the best way to notify users...

1) Where and how to subscribe.
                              2) Why they can't see images or other permissions as a "Free" user, which will direct them to #1.

I have 4,300 existing users that all of a sudden will have many permissions removed until they "subscribe" and also all new users wondering how to subscribe after they are first just activated to the "Free" group. I really just need to picture in my head how that will work.

Otherwise, does my process look OK? Am I missing something?

Thank you.
                              rob
                              Attached Files

Comment

Your process looks ok, however that's not our strategy. We have some things which were never opened up to the public: own avatars, own title, signature, attachments, enlargement of pn-box. These are the things which will be possible with paid subscriptions. All other - and normal things will stay free.

We will inform our users via mail and an announcement. That's how we intend to do it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X