Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok for vB to be handling big attachments...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok for vB to be handling big attachments...?

Hey everyone, I've gotten into this discussion a couple of times but I just want to make sure this time...

Is VB ok for handling some big attachments such as 20 megs a shot (Maximum) ?

One of my forums will have exclusive videos to subscribed members (paying members) and I really like how the whole vB framework is put together, it's really PERFECT for what I really want my site to do. I already have a pretty big community going on and this will be perfect.

I have everything set up correctly on the server side. The PHP max post size, upload size, max packet and memory limit is set to 80M. Furthermore, the MySQL packet size etc has been set to 80M so that I can upload my videos and stuff so that they are 'protected'.

However, my videos are not going to be stored in the DB which would result in bloating the hell out of the database filesize in the end. Instead, Im making vb store everything in a directory.

The server seems to be pretty beefy as well and I don't see myself getting an assload of hits that would blow everything up. If that comes around, I'll get my own server.

Is there anything else I should know about?

Thanks!

vBulletin should be able handle if you make sure that your PHP and MySQL installations can handle them.

You need to increase the max time a php script can run to a few hours to be able to upload 80 megabytes though.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

What should I change the max time to?

Whats the parameter called too..? max_time ?

Thanks!

Comment

Anyone? Wayne? Whats the parameter for Max Time? And how many hours should I really set it to (approx.)?

Is there an alternative to 'protecting' these big videos rather than uploading it thru a webbased interface? Or is this the only way?

Here are my stats on the live server, please let me know what I should change and how I should do it.

Server Type WINNT / PHP v4.2.2 FILE_UPLOADS Disabled MySQL v3.23.54-nt
        PHP Maximum Upload Size 80M PHP Max Post Size 80M
        PHP Memory Limit N/A MySQL Maximum Packet Size 64.00 MB

Cheers!
        Last edited by b00tsauce; Wed 7 Jan '04, 11:39pm.

Comment

max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds

You change it in the php.ini file. You would have to change it to something that would allow people to upload 80 megabytes. That could be 3-4 hours more, 24 hours for some dial-up accounts.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds

You change it in the php.ini file. You would have to change it to something that would allow people to upload 80 megabytes. That could be 3-4 hours more, 24 hours for some dial-up accounts.
            Why not just set it to zero this way you'll have NO timelimit. That's what it said on the php.net site anyway. Much better that way to be sure of the shot.

I'm waiting for my host to change it at the moment.

By the way, if the FILE_UPLOADS has been set to 'off', is it possible that the memory_limit is returning "N/A" even if it's been set to 80M?

Comment

Possible if File upload is disabled. I haven't tested it.

Disabling Max Execution can be a risk since a runaway php thread would never be stopped.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I had this same dilemma on how to let only registered users use my video gallery. What I did was purchase a great 3rd party gallery script that is the best for handling inline video called PhotoKorn (http://scripts.telekorn.de/) and then inserted some code so that only a logged in VB user could access the site.

You can see it in action on my site-

http://www.trackpads.com
                sigpic

Comment

Trackpads, that's some cool software, however it's not exactly what Im looking for as the vB framework is litterally perfect for what I need it to do. I dont need another 3rd party gallery viewer just for my members and stuff, though I think Ill have a look at this once I revisit the picture gallery section.

Thanks for the link!

Comment

I can upload a 10mb attachment locally after changing the appropriate places.

Using attachments as files and not in the database though.
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                      I can upload a 10mb attachment locally after changing the appropriate places.

Using attachments as files and not in the database though.
                      What do you need to change and where? I will talk to my host.
                      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

in php.ini
                        upload_max_filesize
                        post_max_size

And as long as your using attachments as files you wont need the file in memory or the file in a query.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

This is what it says in my Admin CP right now. Just change the max upload size to 10? What is the other one for?

PHP Maximum Upload Size = 2M
                          PHP Max Post Size = 55M
                          vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

Originally posted by Boofo
                            This is what it says in my Admin CP right now. Just change the max upload size to 10? What is the other one for?

PHP Max Post Size = 55M

This is the setting in your php.ini file. You will need root access on your server to edit that one.
                            sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X