Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the mysterious favicon

Hey

Can anyone tell me where the favicon is defined?

Normally it's
    <link href="/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon">
    but i didn't find that in the code...
    That's the end of that!

I don't think that's required. I think browsers look for the favicon.ico in the same folder, and find it. So if you change the one that's in there, it will probably change all over.

Comment

The favicon never stays set for long in IE. It always disappears and is replaced by the standard IE icon after a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
        The favicon never stays set for long in IE. It always disappears and is replaced by the standard IE icon after a few days.
        Mine stays set in mozilla. But yeah, IE is a pain in the ass like that.

Comment

Favicon support in IE depends on your Cache and when you bookmark the page. After its term expires in the Cache or you delete the cache, the icon disappears. I suspect this is a flaw in the design.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Neocorteqz
            Mine stays set in mozilla. But yeah, IE is a pain in the ass like that.
            IE can be awkward. The best way to get the icon to always show in the address bar is to add the following to the head of your (X)HTML:

Code:
            <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
            Sean
            SitePoint Advisor (seanf)
            http://sitepointforums.com
            Harry Potter

Comment

wayne, i didn't ask why it disappears... i asked where i can change it... a user reported a problem with that and he is using a gecko based browser under linux...
              As you can see here, he suggested a solution and i just wanna know where vbulletins favicon is placed to apply that fix.
              That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by seanf
                IE can be awkward. The best way to get the icon to always show in the address bar is to add the following to the head of your (X)HTML:

Code:
                Sean
                Sean, where would I place that in VB? In the header?

Thanks!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trackpads
                  Sean, where would I place that in VB? In the header?
                  Just find </head> and add it before that. Sorry I can't tell you exactly which template, I haven't got vB installed at the moment

Sean
                  SitePoint Advisor (seanf)
                  http://sitepointforums.com
                  Harry Potter

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase
                    wayne, i didn't ask why it disappears... i asked where i can change it... a user reported a problem with that and he is using a gecko based browser under linux...
                    As you can see here, he suggested a solution and i just wanna know where vbulletins favicon is placed to apply that fix.
                    Then you shouldn't be posting in a Suggestions forum... As such any posts are treated as suggestion. Moving as appropriate.
                    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sun 4 Jan '04, 9:19am.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Then you shouldn't be posting in a Suggestions forum... As such any posts are treated as suggestion. Moving as appropriate.
                      And ... ouch! The biting backhand of logic.... ;-)
                      sigpic

Comment

Code:
                        Sean
                        thanks. I think i might do that... as soon as i can find my old favicon I forgot that when i upload newer versions it overwrite. Heh.

Comment

Just find </head> and add it before that. Sorry I can't tell you exactly which template, I haven't got vB installed at the moment

Sean
                          Forumdisplay?

Or could one put in the headinclude template?

Comment

It needs to be within the HEAD of your document so Headinclude would be the appropriate place.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X