Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illuvatar
    replied
    Sorry for the double post, but a couple of folks contacted me in regards to this asking exactly how to enable this... I contacted our host and here's what I have been replying with. Hope it helps!

I checked with the folks that manage are server, and this is what they did.

If you are using WHM/Cpanel for yours, then under WHM you will find under "tweek settings", this option
    Prevent the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses (php and cgi scripts generally run as nobody if you are not using phpsuexec and suexec respectively.)
    Uncheck that option and that will allow the mails to go through.

Regards,

Illu

Leave a comment:

• Illuvatar
    replied
    We had the same issure over at ours, and what we found out is that the server had been set up to not allow mail to be sent from user "nobody" and that is how VB tags the header, so.......... we enabled that function and POOF....all of our mails are going out as normal, without rejections.

Hope this helps!

The only inherent problem is if folks can hack into any types of other mailers like formmail, then they can send mail out as you since the nobody header is allowed.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Mickie, please start your own thread will all the relevant details needed to help us solve your specific problem. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Mickie D
    replied
    any solution for this ?

as i am getting alot of members saying they are not recieving there thread update emails and its a right pain even if i change my webmaster email addy it makes no difference ?

Regards
    Mickie

Leave a comment:

• Martyjp
    replied
    550 error is normaly relaying denied, basicly where you are sending email too thinks its spam so kicks it back to you. Had this from day one of installing vb 3 and havent been able to fix it, hosts response has been "mail works its a problem with the product" and there have been a few posts about it here but I have never come accross a solution that has worked for me

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    But how does a person sign up with a none existent hostname?
    Are there really that much users that sign up and then change their email?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I've received occasional bogus 'virus' warnings with vB2 as well. This has been going on for many months - but only with certain hosts.

As for the second message, it's pretty self-explanatory:

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 No such recipient

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    started a topic A lot of Emails bounce

A lot of Emails bounce

Hi,

Since gamma I have been getting a lot of bouncy emails.

Most hosts are @hotmail.com and @yahoo.com and the rest are hosts from whatever domain name and about 30% bounces with the error that the vbulletin mail has outlook cr vunreability or is treated as a virus.

We require account activation on the site and it appears these users can register. (However, I have had emails from members saying email activation isn't working, but I can email directly with them and discuss that it doesn't work - using the same email they used to sign up with).

I can't figure out if this is a vb issue or a server issue.

virus example:
    I goto the admin control panel and 'email users' and write up a short email there, like 'merry christmas' and then email it to all default selected groups. It returns like this:
    Return-path: <[email protected]>
    Envelope-to: [email protected]
    Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:46:17 +0100
    Received: from [207.44.238.61] (helo=sirenhost.com) by atalanta.xxlwebhosting.nl with smtp (Exim 4.24) id 1AblMC-0004xW-Hh for [email protected]; Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:46:12 +0100
    Received: (qmail 9882 invoked by uid 110); 31 Dec 2003 18:45:40 -0000
    Delivered-To: [email protected]
    Received: (qmail 9879 invoked from network); 31 Dec 2003 18:45:40 -0000
    Received: from inmail7.ev1.net (HELO ev1.net) (207.218.192.61) by 207.44.238.61 with SMTP; 31 Dec 2003 18:45:40 -0000
    Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:51:18 -0600
    Message-Id: <[email protected]>
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    Reply-To: <[email protected]>
    X-Sender: <[email protected]>
    To: <[email protected]>
    Subject: WARNING: YOU MAY HAVE A VIRUS
    X-Mailer: <IMail v6.05>
    The virus software on ev1.net has reported that you sent
    a virus with the subject "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" to: (removed)@ev1.net.
    The E-mail containing the virus has been removed to prevent further damage.
    [Outlook 'CR' Vulnerability] was found in file: [No attachment]
    an example of a 'bounced' email:
    Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sirenhost.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
    <(removed)>:
    204.251.10.82 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 No such recipient
    Giving up on 204.251.10.82.
    --- Below this line is a copy of the message.
    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    Received: (qmail 11064 invoked by uid 48); 31 Dec 2003 18:47:15 -0000
    Date: 31 Dec 2003 18:47:15 -0000
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    To: (removed)
    Subject: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
    The Staff of vBulletin.nl wishes everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2004.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X