No announcement yet.

page/forum width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay, here is a more fully detailed segement of the code I have in my footer:

Code:
    <!-- Start Footer -->
    </td>
    <td width="125px" align="center" valign="top">
    <br />
    <table cellpadding="$stylevar[outerborderwidth]" cellspacing="0" border="0" 
    class="tborder" width="$stylevar[tablewidth]" align="center">
    <tr><td>
    <table cellpadding="$stylevar[cellpadding]" cellspacing="$stylevar[cellspacing]" border="0" width="100%">
    <tr>
    	<td class="tcat">Links</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="alt1" align="left">
       My LINKS are placed here
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="alt2">
       My ADVERTISEMENTS are in this table cell
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td></tr></table>
    I'm not sure if some of the extra code I'm using is forcing my sidebar to be the full 125 pixels that I have specified or not... You do have the <br /> tag in there, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be lining up with the navbar assuming you have the valign=top in there, which you do...

the alt1 and alt2 classes are the same as the way the forums are displayed on the main forums, and will change when you edit the CSS, so I used those for ease of modification.
    Last edited by himerus; Mon 5 Jan '04, 2:48pm. Reason: Fixing code stretch

Comment

Now things become more clear.
      If you take a look at the forum with your code in my footer, you see it's maybe because of the color scheme you are using. So the table IS starting one line above the navbar but I assume that you have the same color as the background color so it appears as if it starts one line below.

But you are right. I start LOVING the vBulletin template system, because when everything is f**** upped, you can simply press the tiny revert button... :-)

Comment

Yes, it's an amazing thing.

Looks like you are getting close, and you are right, my BG color is white, and the BG for the main background of the sidebar is as well, so you don't see the extra space at the top you are talking about.

Have fun!! you should have it all figured out soon, and have a easy little sidebar/navbar for your fourms without any "hacking"

Comment

I fear, we are already considered doing hacking aren't we? Or is "hacking" in vBulletin language meaning your are actually touching the .php files?

Originally posted by himerus
          Yes, it's an amazing thing.

Looks like you are getting close, and you are right, my BG color is white, and the BG for the main background of the sidebar is as well, so you don't see the extra space at the top you are talking about.

Have fun!! you should have it all figured out soon, and have a easy little sidebar/navbar for your fourms without any "hacking"

Comment

Well, yes and no... vBulletin support does not have to help you if you have a hacked board. If you refrain from using file (PHP) edits, and keep a template in your database that is the exact default vB template, that you can switch to at any time, I think that it isn't a problem at all.... but by definition, "hacking" vB would be editin the PHP files they distribute. Template modifications are just that ... template changes.

Sometimes when you are asking for support if you are having a bug or parse error, they will tell you to revert all templates to the default, and see if the problem persists. This is the reason for keeping the default template that vB provides and updates with new releases. Then you don't have to delete or revert your own templates if you are having a problem, you can just look at the default version of the templates, and if it has the same problem/issue, then it's a vB bug, and not a bug in your template.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Comment

Help!

I hope you can help me, I am putting the code you suggest in the header and footer but my sidebar is not appearing at all. All I get is my footer being slightly messed up just where the timezone is displayed. Any ideas?

Thanks

Cray

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X