Reputation feature problems and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reputation feature problems and questions

I have enabled reputation and tested it out by giving some people reputation and writing a comment. Now I see the litte reputation image box by their post count but I do not see the comment I gave them anywhere. What happens to that comment? Also when i went to that persons profile The comment was not their either.

My other problem is this. How can I update peoples reputation? For example some of my members have 700 posts and for every 20 posts you get a point of reputation, however since I just implemented this system everyone is set at 0. Is their something I can do to update everyones repuation points based on how many post they have and the length they have been registered on the site for?

Thirdly, what determines the reputation image you get (the little box). I noticed in the ftp reputation image folder their are images like high reputation and positive. What determines which image you see? So like if I wanted to have a star rating system of 5 images. And if you had a low rep count say 10 you would see one star. But if you had a certain number of rep points say 20 you would see another image ie 2 stars. How and where are the settings for deciding which image to use?

You would have to run queries directly on the database to update the reputation...

Something like:
    UPDATE user SET reputation = DIV (posts/20)

You would have to also update their reputationlevelid but that is dependant on your settings.

As for your question about images, just replace the ones there with stars.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

yea but how does it know when to use the other image. Lets say I want 5 positive increments of images. Where is the setting that establishes the image cutoff points? Do you know what I am talking about? I could not find this setting anywhere.

Comment

that query gives me an error when I run it.

Comment

Oops sorry.. that function is only in MySQL 4.1.0 and higher. Didn't see that the first time.

This will work:
          UPDATE user SET reputation= posts/20;

MySQL should automatically drop any fraction since both fields are integers.

Each reputation level set under "User Reputations -> Reputation Manager" would be equal to an image.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I am really confused as to the settings of this reputation system.

What is the difference between current reputation power and reputation level?

Also for the default reputation setting. Why does it say:
            What reputation level shall new users receive upon registration? Make sure that you have a reputation level that is at least equal to or less than this value.

Whats that mean, why would I need a level that is less then this value?

Also when I ran that query it not only increased people's reputation level but their reputation power. So im curious what happened?

Comment

okay when you say each level has in its own image. Well im on my 10th level however I only have 2 sqaures showing? So how does it know to pick between images is what I am asking? Lets say I upload another .gif for a 3rd sqaure image. How would it know when to upgrade me to use this image? I hope you are understanding what I am saying. It is kinda hard to explain.

Comment

I'll have to do a detailed look at the code to see exactly how it works and if what you want is possible.

Wayne Luke

Comment

What I want is what www.vbulletin.nl is doing. Please have a look at their karma system. You see how they have more boxes showing up, I release the rest of their little karma system is cosmetic but I eventually want something like that. I am just wondering how the code knows when to give say 2 boxes, 3 boxes, 4 boxes, etc. to someone depending on their rep level? Like lets say you have 4 images. The first image is one box, the second image is 2 boxes and so forth. How does it know when to pull those images?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Oops sorry.. that function is only in MySQL 4.1.0 and higher. Didn't see that the first time.

This will work:
                    UPDATE user SET reputation= posts/20;

MySQL should automatically drop any fraction since both fields are integers.

Each reputation level set under "User Reputations -> Reputation Manager" would be equal to an image.
                    Okay so this updates the reputation level but how do you update the reputation power? Does it update itself or whats the deal. After I updated my rep level I noticed that some people have more rep power then rep level. How is that possible?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by arracing
                        And Again
                        Mike Warner
                        MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

Okay so this updates the reputation level but how do you update the reputation power?
                          I think that "reputation-altering power" is not stored in database but computed based on - Register Date Factor, Post Count Factor and Reputation Point Factor. Every time you change one of the above factors, altering power values are correspondingly changed.

My problem is that default altering power is set to 0. I want to change it to 1.
                          In reputation.php I found this line:
                          $score = $score + $postfactor + $timefactor + $reputationfactor;
                          Can I add here "+1"?

Maybe you can help me with a solution. Thanks.

Comment

This requires modifying the code which we don't support. Try asking over at vbulletin.org.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What determines which image you see? So like if I wanted to have a star rating system of 5 images. And if you had a low rep count say 10 you would see one star. But if you had a certain number of rep points say 20 you would see another image ie 2 stars. How and where are the settings for deciding which image to use?
                              I wanted to do this, and have worked out how! Details at http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=503973

There is also more information about the default allocation of green blobs in this thread http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100835

John

Comment

Working...
                              X