Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sort upcoming events on forumhome?

hello,

i like this new feature, unfortunately the upcoming events get sorted by the eventid, while i think it would be far more logic to sort them by startdate. i tried to find it in index.php and functions_databuild.php but eventually got stuck.
    could somebody help me out please?

thanks in advance

kreftt

Originally posted by kreftt
    hello,

i like this new feature, unfortunately the upcoming events get sorted by the eventid, while i think it would be far more logic to sort them by startdate. i tried to find it in index.php and functions_databuild.php but eventually got stuck.
    could somebody help me out please?

thanks in advance

kreftt
    I agree. Displaying grouped events by the eventid makes very little sense. Especially if you have a large window for what events are being displayed. To most users the displayed events would appear to be in a random order.

I know where the code is that does this, I'm just not sure of the best way to fix it due to limited php skills.

The other thing that could be improved on is showing events with a range of dates as individual dates. It would be more logical to display those with a date range such as "1-12-2004 to 1-27-2004" or similar. At least when being displayed as a grouped event.
    Last edited by tgmorris; Wed 24th Dec '03, 10:06pm.

Comment

actually in the admin cp there is an option to decide if the events shall be sorted by eventid or time. i just hadnt found this when posting the rather stupid question...

greetz

kreftt

Comment

Originally posted by kreftt
        actually in the admin cp there is an option to decide if the events shall be sorted by eventid or time. i just hadnt found this when posting the rather stupid question...

greetz

kreftt
        The question is far from being "stupid." If one has an active calendar with a large number of events with a window of more than a few days most users would think it useless to wade through a series of apparently randomly ordered dates. OTOH - When ordered by date, one winds up with an inordinately large list of dates with repeated items.

IMNSHO It's sort of a no-win situation if one has a large number of events scheduled and has a window size of more than a few days.

Comment

I have my Upcoming Event Type set to Group by Event. I also have two calendars configured, one for shows and one for auctions.

My forum home page upcoming events list is as follows:

Suwannee, FL: 01-07-2005 to 01-09-2005
          Jacktown PA: 01-15-2005
          Starke, FL: 12-09-2004 to 12-11-2004
          Ft. Meade, FL: 01-13-2005 to 01-16-2005
          York, PA Expo: 01-15-2005 to 01-16-2005
          Cabin Fever Consignment: 01-14-2005
          MacFadden 's Year End Auction: 12-11-2004
          One Owner's collection Auction: 01-08-2005

What I would like to see is a break between the two calendars:

Suwannee, FL: 01-07-2005 to 01-09-2005
          Jacktown PA: 01-15-2005
          Starke, FL: 12-09-2004 to 12-11-2004
          Ft. Meade, FL: 01-13-2005 to 01-16-2005
          York, PA Expo: 01-15-2005 to 01-16-2005

Cabin Fever Consignment: 01-14-2005
          MacFadden 's Year End Auction: 12-11-2004
          One Owner's collection Auction: 01-08-2005

Is there a way to create that break between the two calendar groups as above? Of course, sorting them by date AFTER sorting by event would be a plus.

Edit: Sorting resolved: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76264
          Last edited by oldengine; Sat 14th May '05, 7:15am.

Comment

There is no built-in function to do this, nor do I think it can be done with a template edit. It probably requires modifying the code. You can try asking for help with this over at vbulletin.org.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X