Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[vb3b7] Multiple users are having log in / posting problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [vb3b7] Multiple users are having log in / posting problems...

I upgraded from vB 2.2.9 to vB3b7 last month. It appears that a few of my users are having problems login and posting problems. Normally, I tell them how to empty their cookies, but that method does not seem to be effective for this handful.

Recently, in my vBOptions, I have the following:

Cached Posts Lifespan (30)

Here are the messages that I've gathered.

I can log in, but my posts/threads dont show until 4-5 days later. It happens all the time in SOHH Circa forum and occasionally in Know The Ledge and The Ladies Room. Ever since the last upgrade ive been having the problem.
    Note: SOHH Circa is a forum that only moderators and administrators can access.

Everytime I try to post, it now asks me to log in and after i do, it says "Thank you for logging in {username}" Then it puts me back to the "you need to log in" page, and it's a never-ending cycle that has blacked me out from using the site.
    I told this user to clear his cookies.

Thanks for replying back to me. I did go and clear my cookies according to the "easy way" in the thread from that link and tried to log back in. It said, "Thanks for logging in {username}" and then went to the page and asked me to log in again. Do you have any more suggestions on why I'm still not able to log in?
    As always, any and all help will be appreciated.

try turing on NO CACHE HEADERS

ACP > vB Options > Cookies and HTTP Header Options > Add No-Cache HTTP Headers >
    Selecting yes will cause vBulletin to add no-cache HTTP headers. These are very effective, so adding them may cause server load to increase due to an increase in page requests.

Comment

Originally posted by Faranth
      try turing on NO CACHE HEADERS
      This was already on...

Comment

well there went my idea, for the hell of it, turn them off?

Comment

How are they deleting their cookies? They probably need to manually delete them. To do this in IE 6.0:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings -> View Files

Then search for the individual cookies for your domain and delete them all. The name should be in t
          he form of:

Cookie:[email protected]
          and
          Cookie:[email protected]www.yoursite.com

...and any derivatives of the above. Then highlight the individual cookies and delete each one found. After this, close all browser windows and restart IE.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Actually, I have those instructions on my site and point everyone to them.

http://69.20.14.40/forums/showthread.php?t=114271

They are still having the problem.

Comment

I wish I had another answer but I don't. AFAIK clearing the cookies manually should fix this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Afaik???

Comment

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

After deleting the cookies are they closing all instances if Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer?

Essentially these are the same application called with different parameters. Windows keeps all cookie information in memory while these applications are running so if you delete them in one instance and then try to access them with another instance, Windows will use the values in memory to write new cookie files regardless of what the webpage tells you. This is an inherent limitation of Microsoft's method of handling cookies.

The only way vBulletin can maintain a login properly is with cookie based verification. Such is a limitation of the HTTP protocol's stateless implementation. However, we have to rely on the user's webbrowser to write these cookies properly.

I should add, that the "Cached Posts Feature" doesn't prevent posts from showing up which suggests that the user is using a caching proxy server that ignores the no-cache headers.
                    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 19 Dec '03, 9:17am.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

could be those handful of users are with ISPs which are using transparent proxy/caches which aren't updated as often as they should be ?
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X