Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to restrict image posting for certain user groups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to restrict image posting for certain user groups?

Is it possible to restrict image posting for certain user groups?

I've had problems with a spammer registering new accounts and hitting my forum with very distasteful images. Banning unfortunately does not work because he seems to be able to switch IPs at will.

I'm using 3.0.0 Gamma

What I want to do is restrict the default member group from being able to post images.

I have my board set up so that, once a person has both been a member of the forum for 30 days and has reached 30 posts, they move up into a new member group.

I want that 2nd member group to be able to post images, but I would like to restrict new members from being able to.

Is this possible?

This is a standard user group permision. Just set it:

Can Upload Attachments
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      This is a standard user group permision. Just set it:

Can Upload Attachments
      Does that affect the use of an image tag? Or are you suggesting turning off image tags completely and only allowing the ability to upload images?

I might not have been very clear in my original post, but the images in question are being remotely linked to via the image tag.

Comment

Actually, I can not even locate the option to turn of IMG posting. Where would I locate this?

Comment

I hate to do a bump, but this spammer is a major issue for me. Any ideas?

Comment

There is no way to disable the IMG tag on a usergroup basis. You can set it by forum under Forum Manager > forum name > Edit > Allow IMG tag.

Comment

Would it be possible to do something similar to what was done with the postbit "top" or "left" add-in to the styles' php start section. Maybe make it a user profile field, but not user selectable or even viewable. You could manually edit the ones older than 30 days to be able to use the IMG tag and/or run a script/query through the maintenance section in the admincp to change all of the usergroups you want to have it to be able to. Maybe do this every week or so for those that enter the new user group.

This was just a shot in the dark.
              Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

If you could make the censorship option applicable to only certain user groups and if it could pick up those tags (I don't know, does it ignore those img tags?) and change it to something else like "You are not authorized to use IMG tags at this time."...or whatever. I realize this is a mute point as it doesn't appear that censorship can be done by user group. Although this may make sense for some that have kids come to it. ...done rambling.
                Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

Is there a way that you can place code that forces a usergroup to use a certain style? I don't believe there is, but think it would be a good addition as it could help those that don't want adds for subscribers (I know there are workarounds for this), but could also give only contributors the option to choose different styles and would also solve this problem the OP is having.
                  Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

Is my idea of how to fix the OP's problems seem plausible or do I simply not know what I am talking about?
                    Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

I was also wondering if this will be possible in the near future?

Comment

That was 7 months ago, and i dont remember it being added, you can request it though in our Suggestion forums

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                          That was 7 months ago, and i dont remember it being added, you can request it though in our Suggestion forums
                          Thank-you.

Comment

Working...
                          X