Big email banning problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big email banning problems

I'm assuming it's working for you others out there because I couldn't find anything in search (though it would be nice to search "ban" as a 3 letter word here =).

I originally used the free email list provided by a member of these forums:
    http://i4net.tv/marticle/get.php?act...e&articleid=30

and it worked great through all the upgrades we did until we hit 3.0. At that point I had a few hundred extra emails I had added to the list. When users try to register it says their email address is banned even if it's not on the list. So, I went back to the email list:
    http://i4net.tv/marticle/get.php?act...e&articleid=30
    and cut and pasted it in the ban list removing all modifications I had made to it and it still tells everyone they're banned if I have the option enabled. So, it appears there's something in the formatting of the list I'm guessing 3.0 doesn't like that 2.X had no problems with.

Does anyone know the issue off hand? Though it's a very new board (1 year old), we're cruising at close to 30 new members per day now and it's not like we have time to verify every new user before permitting them access.

The site is
    www.talknotebooks.com soon to be notebookforums.com
    Last edited by PCTORQUE; Mon 8th Dec '03, 10:45pm.

The most likely problem is that you have a carriage return somewhere in that list. You need to make sure there are NO hard line feeds and that each address is separated by a space only.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but would you mind ellaborating on the term "hard line feeds"?

I am dealing with this same issue now. In an effort to combat spammers, I've been adding to my email ban list. After having read your earlier post, I'm in the process of getting rid of all the carriage returns now. I'm just not sure what the hard line feeds are, so I don't know what I need to do to fix the filter.

Thank you.

Comment

This thread is almost 4 years old. Please start a new thread with the specifics of your problem.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X