Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can not upload avatars using built in features of vBulletin

Problem:

I can not upload avatars using the built in features of vBulletin (3.0 Gamma).

Situation:
    1. Using the Admin CP the “Upload Avatar” feature results in an error. (View Avatar_Upload_1.GIF & Avatar_Upload_2.GIF)
    2. Using the User CP the “Custom Avatar” feature results in no image appearing (View Avatar_Upload_3.GIF & Avatar_Upload_4.GIF)
    3. Safe Mode has been disabled in the Admin CP (View SAFE_MODE_1.GIF)
    4. Safe Mode has been disabled in PHP (View SAFE_MODE_2.GIF)
    5. The server is running vBulletin 3.0.0 Gamma, IIS 6, PHP 4.3.4, MySQL 4.0.16
    6. Profile Pictures do work
    7. I can manually copy avatars to the server using WEB-DAV and import them using the Avatar Manager.
    8. All other file attachments seem to work fine.
    9. For testing I used Steve Machol’s avatar (I promise I will not let my users use it) I just wanted to make sure that there was no question as to the validity of my images.
    10. Avatars are enabled in the Admin CP
    Attached Files

There's a good possibility you're going to actually need to specify an upload_tmp_dir in your php.ini . (And restart IIS.) If that doesn't help, run the uploading diagnostic test in the CP (Diagnostics section).

Comment

Yes, Windows system do need a valid upload_tmp_dir setting in php.ini.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan
        There's a good possibility you're going to actually need to specify an upload_tmp_dir in your php.ini . (And restart IIS.) If that doesn't help, run the uploading diagnostic test in the CP (Diagnostics section).
        php.ini (unchanged - this is how it has been since I setup my server)
        Code:
        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
        ; File Uploads ;
        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
        ; Whether to allow HTTP file uploads.
        file_uploads = On
        ; Temporary directory for HTTP uploaded files (will use system default if not
        ; specified).
        upload_tmp_dir = C:\[path]\temp
        ; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
        upload_max_filesize = 4M
        * [path] represents my temporary directory path that I would prefer not to state publicly.

Attached are the results of the Upload test on the Diagnostics page. As the images show, I had no errors. (View UPLOAD_DIAGNOSTICS_1.GIF & UPLOAD_DIAGNOSTICS_2.GIF)
        Attached Files

Comment

I also reset IIS (View IIS6_Reset.gif).

Still no luck with Avatar uploads using vBulletin.
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh, doh! I missed the "error *writing* filename". At least that has an effect in the CP -- you need to make sure that your images/avatars directory (relative to your main vB directory) exists and is writable by whatever user IIS is running as.

As for custom avatars not working, the only reason I can think of that not working (but attachments do) is if you have specified to use avatars as files and it can't write them to the file system. In your CP, find "Avatar Storage Type" (it's in the avatar section on the menu on the left) and make sure you're using avatars in the database (it'll say on the first line which you're using).

Comment

I can verify that my storage type action is: "Move Items from File System into Database" (View STORAGE_TYPE_AVATARS.GIF)

I then made sure that my "/images/avatars" permissions were set to "List Folder Content" and "Write" (View LIST_FOLDER_PERMISSIONS.gif)

I can now upload in the AdminCP.

I had to do the same thing for the "./customavatars" permissions in order for my UserCP custom avatars upload to work.

Seems that both features now work. Thank you all for your help.
              Attached Files

Comment