How to make the postbit layout an user option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freddie
    I'll fix that position problem but as for the blank option, go back to your field and edit it and you'll see an option about not having a "first blank option".
    Which is only in there because of my nagging

Anyhoo, an issue for those who care: using Freddie's no-file-edits method has one notable downside to it: the template does not get cached this way, so all threads, showposts and announcements will add one query (if the user is using the non-default one, anyway).

To remedy that, you will need a file edit, but fortunately it is only one tiny, simple, very easy file edit.

I've released the Hack on vb.org here:
    Making a new User option for Postbit Style while maintaining full template cacheing

Just in case you're interested in getting rid of the uncached template query on those three (almost most-used?) locations

Comment

Ive just downloaded the vbulletin candidate 4.....

Is there a a option to make it globally left instead of top. Or do i need to find someone with a candidate 3 template??

Vinh.

Comment

Freddy, This is so awesome. Thank you.

This leads me to believe that there might be a way to create additional postbits too.

if we create a new template. How would we modify your code that goes in the phpinclude_start template to look for an additonal postbit. For example, I have a "postbit" and a "postbit_legacy". If I made another one called "postbit_legacy2" how would I modfy that code to search for that user selection instead?

Comment

Whenever I apply this change after installing this it always puts my style set back to the current layout. Is there a way to get it to apply this change and not default back to the default style?

Comment

So after all the discuss, I don't want to read right now, the Freddy's Code is ok?

See Ya
            | vBulletin Hispano |

Comment

Actually i suggest doing it another way, to make sure you wont run an extra query

Ill post it at vBT in a few

edit, if brad already hasnt

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                Actually i suggest doing it another way, to make sure you wont run an extra query
                I switched to Faruk's hack soon as he posted it. It works perfectly and makes more sense to me. I meant to mention this a long time ago.
                "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

can someone please include a step by step instruction ?
                  i am bit confused to use this ??
                  how to add ?? what to add exactly.
                  i want to use radio buttons

need help.
                  thnx.
                  Sandy...
                  TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

See my post (5 posts ago) about how to do it with a tiny file modification.

However, I believe some people said it didn't work on vB3 Gold, so I may have to look into that when I have some time... :/

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      You can do this with a hack or with a second style to make it a user option....

To create a style with the user information on the left, just create a new child style of your default and copy the contents of "Postbit_legacy" into the postbit template. Then make the style user selectable.
                      Very nice method indeed... One question... does this inflict with the theme catche trouble people were mentioning about with the postbit as a option in profiles?

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
                        I believe some people said it didn't work on vB3 Gold, so I may have to look into that when I have some time... :/
                        I'm running it on VB3 final and it works like a charm. Seems like I did run into a slight snag during upgrade from RC4, but now I can't recall exactly what I did to fix it. I'll see if I can dredge it up.
                        "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                        It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

Customizable postbit layout for each forum

Hello,
                          is there any way to make postbit layout (legacy or horzintal) customizable for a forum. I prefer legacy as a default, but certain forum I dedicated for publishing some articles, which needs more space and more space is available in horizontal layout.
                          Many thanks

Comment

Can all you guys get this to work on vb3.0.1? I can't get mine to work for some reason...

I have this in my phpinclude_start template:
                            Code:

if ($bbuserinfo['field20'] == 'Left')
                              {
                            	$vboptions['legacypostbit'] = 1;
                              }

Comment

I am going to reply my self :-)
                              I made changes of postbit as an user option and as the default postbit layout for certain forums as follows:

1. I have legacy postbit layout as an default (left colum instead of top)
                              2. I have created new style inherited form my default style
                              3. I have copied postbit template to postbit_legacy
                              4. I have applied this new style to certain forums I wanted them to have standard postbit instead of legacy...
                              5. User can choos this new style, which only difference is the postbit layout

Comment

Originally posted by kafi
                                I am going to reply my self :-)
                                I made changes of postbit as an user option and as the default postbit layout for certain forums as follows:

1. I have legacy postbit layout as an default (left colum instead of top)
                                2. I have created new style inherited form my default style
                                3. I have copied postbit template to postbit_legacy
                                4. I have applied this new style to certain forums I wanted them to have standard postbit instead of legacy...
                                5. User can choos this new style, which only difference is the postbit layout
                                So how did you do it? with V3.0.1 ? im not understanding. I jsut want the peoples user names and info on the left side and there post on the right.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X