Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from 2.3.2 to Gamma/Final : do I need a bigger server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from 2.3.2 to Gamma/Final : do I need a bigger server?

Hi,

My forums at www.xxx.nl/forum has : Members: 964, Threads: 2,101, Posts: 14,254

Today I asked my hostingprovider what the size of my Vbulletin database was, so I would know if I should have any problems updating to Gamma/Final. The thing is:

I have a virtual server with 50MB diskspace and 50MB database-space. The last time when I tried to backup my database with sqldump I got an error saying that I was running out of diskspace (quota).

Apparently my database is 44MB big at the moment. I use 21MB of my 50MB diskspace, so there's (50-21=) 29 MB room left for my backup. My questions:

1. Is it possible to backup a 44 MB forum when you have 29 MB room left?
    2. I was suprised to hear that my database was already 44 MB big.... isn't that pretty much for a forum with 964 members and 14,254 posts on it?
    3. Is it wise to upgrade to a new server (100 MB) before I upgrade to Gamma/Final (in other words: will my database be bigger after upgrading?), or can/should I do this afterwards?

Grover.
    Last edited by Grover; Thu 26th Aug '04, 6:58am.
    How much do you love XenForo?

1. No, unless you have CPanel and use it's backup option to backup to your local PC
    2. Sounds within the normal range. The biggest space users are attachments and the searchindex table. The more words you allow to be searched, the larger that table.
    3. I would get more space before upgrading. In fact, I think 100Mb is very small these days. You might want to consider a better plan.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I agree ... I'd say 300-500 Mb would be more sufficient.
      Is it true that "Cannibals" don't eat Clowns because they taste funny? :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        1. No, unless you have CPanel and use it's backup option to backup to your local PC
        2. Sounds within the normal range. The biggest space users are attachments and the searchindex table. The more words you allow to be searched, the larger that table.
        3. I would get more space before upgrading. In fact, I think 100Mb is very small these days. You might want to consider a better plan.
        Thank you so much Steve for your explanation. I know what to do now.
        How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X