No announcement yet.

Cookie problem with some users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone PMd me with a suggestion I never heard of before. He said to change your password in the Admin CP and this should solve your cookie problems. It's conceivable this could work because it requires writing a new cookie. Try that and let me know if it works.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The cookie domain is now blanc again.

After that, I changed my password in the admin cp, logged out, restarted XP, logged in, closed all browser windows, opened my browser again with the same problem.

After that I did the same thing but after I deleted all cookies and cache, also without succes. Fact is: some users have it, other don't. But several users on my board have the same problem and didn't do anything with their pc settings the last days. I am going to try run that php script, maybe it does the trick.

Comment

Well in my testing I had no problem staying logged in with your login info. AFAICT the problem has to be on the client side.

Are you manually deleting the cookies? You can't always rely on the browser's cookie removal function, particularly if the cookie is corrupted.

I would also check any software you might be running that could possibly interfere with cookies (firewalls, ad-blockers, etc.)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Script didn't work.

I will try what you recommend and if that doesnt work, i'll format my pc, and try it again w/o the firewall/ad-blocker.

Seems that this indeed has to do with corrupted cookies, but not only on my pc but everyone that has visited my site before the update.
          Last edited by dutchbb; Sun 30 Nov '03, 8:30am.

Comment

Ok, I manually deleted the cookie (configuration> internet options > view files)

Still get logged out.

This is the content for my board's cookie:

bblastvisit

www.dutchbodybuilding.com/

bblastactivity

bbuserid

bbpassword

b586b37a7921fa5412b53d64accdcaca

Last edited by dutchbb; Tue 2 Dec '03, 10:14am.

Comment

Can a developer please help me solve this?

More and more members are reporting this problem so it must be the board itself.

I formatted my pc and did a fresh install XP with the same problem...

Comment

It still seems very strange that I was able to use your login and had none of these problems. Maybe someone else will have an idea, but based on my experience the problem would seem to be client-side.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hm the account you used was mine. Maybe I was online @ the same time and could not be logged out. I dont know, Can you try registering and see what happens? If this is client- side problem then is it coincidence that more than 20 members reported the same problem, while they where able to stay logged in before I updated the admin option settings with the debugger? Anyway I also hope someone can help me

Comment

I accessed your forums again and found myself automatically logged by by the previous cookie. I then left your forums several times and when I came back I was still logged in.

I then logged out and registered a new user (vbtest). I then repeated the previous tests and each time I came back to the forums I was automatically logged in as vbtest.

This is definitely a client-side issue otherwise I would be having the same problem as you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Maybe new members don't experience this problem but old members sure do... thanks for trying

Comment

I logged in as an 'old' member, namely you. I still do not have this problem. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

It is NOT just him, and although it may certainly be client-side - I too have my doubts.

I have been dealing with this problem for nearly two months now - on a VERY active, very established forum with over 2000 members.

I have covered the cookies, temp files, firewalls, etc issues - AD NAUSEUM.

I did screen shots for the users to help them FIND their temp files, cookies, security settings.

In 95% of the cases - the only part that has WORKED was to have them specifically place the domain in their allowed domains under security settings.

I have NEVER had to do this before, but I am not kidding - I'm talking HUNDREDS of users of two months. I personally, NEVER had an issue with my account, could not replicate it, and have NOT set the security settings as many of them have had to.

I am so frustrated with this I could scream.

I have searched these forums for answers ever since it started being a huge problem.

Same with the aol issues. (AOL members not receiving activation emails). Not EVERY AOL member - but more so than not.

Just wanted to let you know you're NOT alone, and I DO believe there has got to be something somewhere in the code that could be tweaked or hacked or fixed to resolve this. I am not a coder and I would BREAK it if I tried.

I am currently on 2.3.2

Thanks for allowing me some vent time. I love vBulletin - but it is becoming an administrative nightmare to support in an extremely active community.

Comment

Yep, tnx. We never had this problem before, it started a while ago after I used the $debug in config php.

I am pretty sure it is something in the code, maybe database. Like you said: I am not the only one on the board with this problem, and deleting the cookies or doing anything else on our pc doesn't help. So it must be the board, there is no other way to explain it.

I also think this is great software, but this is just a bug IMO.

Why are the developers here not responding to my pm's btw? I really think this is an important issue that should be solved!

Comment

It's kind of hard to troubleshoot and fix something when you can't duplicate the problem. Why, for instance, do I not have this problem when I log in as you but you do? Logically this would indicate a client-side issue. However that's the extent on my expertise on this. Unless I can sit down at your computer and try this out for myself, I'm at a loss of what else to do.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I had this exact same problem with beta 7 right before I shut down the site for a while tried cookies,browsers and 2 different machines and still had the same problem it is a bug in beta 7 which I hope is gone in gamma because I am fixing to renew my license to use gamma on the site. So Steve some people have the problem others don't but all 40 members of my small community had the problem on my site but don't know what causes it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X