Database or filesystem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database or filesystem?

This is not really a "how do i" question but i could not find a more applicable forum to post this in.
    Anyway my MySQL database was 500mb when i had my attachments stored in the database. When i moved all of the attachments into a filesystem the MySQL database was only 120mb!
    However i am not sure which is best... Will i get better performance by the attachments being in a filesystem or a database?

Thanks in advance.

Depends how often attachments are accessed and how big they are. If they're bigger you're probably going to get better performance from them being in the filesystem. If they're smaller and accessed very frequently, probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
      Depends how often attachments are accessed and how big they are. If they're bigger you're probably going to get better performance from them being in the filesystem. If they're smaller and accessed very frequently, probably not.
      A lot of my board's attachments are 20-40 KB in size...How do you think moving them from MySQL to the file system will affect performance?
      Seriously! - The Definitive Home of All Things Serious
      Seriously! Forums

To recieve support on these forums, enter your username here.

Comment

Well most of the attachments on my board are 100kb+. Some are as big as 5mb.

Comment

Where do you specify where you want it stored? I've looked everywhere and can't find it. Thanks

-Colin

edit: nevermind, got it
          Last edited by turbo2liter; Mon 3 Nov '03, 11:52pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X