Restoring database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring database?

I host with theforumhost.com and all of my data has been lost. They have no backups of it, however I have a backup that was made through the admincp. It is about 60-70mb which I think is too small. My guess is that the transfer timed out and the backup was not completed. Is there any possible way to use what was transferred to restore some of my forum? I have a complete backup that was made back in February but since then over 1,000 members have joined and thousands of posts have been made. I have also added several sub-forum categories and created different user profiles since then. Any help/advice that you can give me would be awesome. I will host the backup for you guys to take a look at as soon as my hosting service resumes... (may be a while )

Thanks,
    -Charlie
    http://www.wave5host.com - I host smaller sites on my dedicated server. Great up-time and fast connection + the best 1 on 1 customer service anywhere.

Unfortunately unless you have a complete backup of the database it is very unlikely your info can be restored. A lot will depend on exactly how much was backed up.

I have responded to your support ticket on this issue.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by charlieaf92
      I host with theforumhost.com and all of my data has been lost. They have no backups of it, however I have a backup that was made through the admincp. It is about 60-70mb which I think is too small. My guess is that the transfer timed out and the backup was not completed. Is there any possible way to use what was transferred to restore some of my forum? I have a complete backup that was made back in February but since then over 1,000 members have joined and thousands of posts have been made. I have also added several sub-forum categories and created different user profiles since then. Any help/advice that you can give me would be awesome. I will host the backup for you guys to take a look at as soon as my hosting service resumes... (may be a while )

Thanks,
      -Charlie
      Damn Charlie CSS is down again?
      Joshua Combs
      Webmaster/Founder Quad4forums.com | ECOTECforum.com
      Streamline Web Solutions
      [email protected]

Comment

Just an update. The backup is larger than I though, it is about 107mb, which still seems small but hopefully I'm wrong. I am uploading the file as we speak.

-Charlie
        http://www.wave5host.com - I host smaller sites on my dedicated server. Great up-time and fast connection + the best 1 on 1 customer service anywhere.

Comment

Ok. The .sql file is uploaded and vb3 has been installed. Now I'm stuck, I can't seem to find any way to import my db.

-Charlie

Comment

That's the same issue. You will either need to try and restore it a table at a time in phpMyAdmin, or ask you webhost to restore it for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ah, I thought that I would only have to do that if the DB was incomplete. I have no experience with phpmyadmin and my host is not currently online. Is there any way for me to determine if the .sql file is complete just by looking at it?

Thanks,
              -Charlie

Comment

Not easily. You will need to read through the entire sql file and make sure each one of the vB tables is represented in the backup.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Alright, I guess I'll just wait for my host to get online - Thanks for your help.

-Charlie

Comment

Steve, just sent in another support ticket. When the host tried to import the database he is getting this error:

ERROR 1064 at line 843497: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manu al that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use nea r '' at line 1

Any help would be awesome. I also sent in my FTP info so you can check it out.

-Charlie

Comment

The most likely problem is that the backup file is not complete. I responded to your ticket asking for telnet or ssh access which is the only way I can tell.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X