Turning Off Reply Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Off Reply Quotes

How do you turn off the "include quote" in reply messages.

Currently when I reply I see this added to the body:

{QUOTE=USER1}This is a new Test Posting.{/QUOTE}

How do I remove the original message quote entirely from a REPLY MESSAGE?

Thank you.
    Last edited by WayneL15; Wed 24 Sep '03, 11:05am.

Originally posted by WayneL15
    How do you turn off the "include quote" in reply messages.

Currently when I reply I see this added to the body:

{QUOTE=USER1}This is a new Test Posting.{/QUOTE}

How do I remove the original message quote entirely from a REPLY MESSAGE?

Thank you.
    click the button marked "post reply".

Comment

That is so aggravating. I would say at least 50% of my members keep clicking on the "reply with quote" button in the post window when they only want to reply (without a quote). I have explained this over and over, but they keep doing this.

Shouldn't the "reply" button be more descriptive so that so many members don't confuse this button for the "Post Reply" button?

Nobody thinks to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to find the "Post Reply" button. I really can't blame them. It would be so much more convenient to have a regular "Post Reply" button included next to or in place of the "reply" button. I spend so much time having to go back in and edit all these posts to remove the quotes that are wasting space. 99% of these people never wanted to include the quote, but they clicked on the "reply" button naturally because that is what seems like the natural thing to do.

Why isn't there a "Post Reply" button in PM? There was one in vb2, but now in vb3 PM, there is only the "reply with quote" button.

Comment

I agree 100%

I agree 100%

this "reply with quote" is completely useless imo. all it does is cause trouble and make post harder to follow. if someone wants to include a Quote from a previous post, i think you should let them quote it with BB codes.

there is no need to QUOTE every message. Wayne is right, many people don't go all the way to the bottom to find a reply button, if they see a "reply " button right there , they are gonna click it.

blubster

Comment

Originally posted by blubster
          I agree 100%

this "reply with quote" is completely useless imo. all it does is cause trouble and make post harder to follow. if someone wants to include a Quote from a previous post, i think you should let them quote it with BB codes.

there is no need to QUOTE every message. Wayne is right, many people don't go all the way to the bottom to find a reply button, if they see a "reply " button right there , they are gonna click it.

blubster
          Sorry to disagree, if you have a lot of people posting in a row, it is easier to see which post someone is replying to. Many misunderstandings arise when others don't know who you are replying to.

There is nothing preventing you once vb3 goes RC from moving the post reply button into the postbit.

Comment

That's never been a problem. You just start your reply addressing that member by their name.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky_BBQ
              That is so aggravating. I would say at least 50% of my members keep clicking on the "reply with quote" button in the post window when they only want to reply (without a quote). I have explained this over and over, but they keep doing this.

Shouldn't the "reply" button be more descriptive so that so many members don't confuse this button for the "Post Reply" button?

Nobody thinks to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to find the "Post Reply" button. I really can't blame them. It would be so much more convenient to have a regular "Post Reply" button included next to or in place of the "reply" button. I spend so much time having to go back in and edit all these posts to remove the quotes that are wasting space. 99% of these people never wanted to include the quote, but they clicked on the "reply" button naturally because that is what seems like the natural thing to do.

Why isn't there a "Post Reply" button in PM? There was one in vb2, but now in vb3 PM, there is only the "reply with quote" button.
              The reply w/quote button is in the exact same place and does the exact same function it did in vB2. It is just called reply instead of quote. to solve your prolem, change the button to say quote like it did before and people will not get confused.

Comment

Yes, it sucked in vb2 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                  The reply w/quote button is in the exact same place and does the exact same function it did in vB2. It is just called reply instead of quote. to solve your prolem, change the button to say quote like it did before and people will not get confused.
                  The above solution would be fine if postbit was only used for replies in threads. But it is also used for PM replies.

So when a user is replying to a PM the button that used to be 'Reply' is now going to be 'Quote' which is confusing because they are looking for 'Reply'.

Comment

Here is what I did to solve the Reply button confusion.

I used Photoshop to make the Reply and Quote button to be one long button as shown below. Then I saved my new button as reply_small.gif and uploaded it.

Next I edited the postbit template. Here is the original line:

title="Reply w/Quote" border="0" width="55"

I change width="55" to width="110"

Now my users can see that the Reply / Quote button is for replying with a quote and the problem is solved.
                    Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X