Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow forums

Hi,

I've noticed that since upgrading my forums pages have been taking longer than usual to load. As far as I'm aware I haven't changed any settings to make it do this.

When I visit my boards I go straight to get all new posts since my last visit, from there I open each new post in a new window. Before beta 6 this was fairly quick but now it's taking absolutely ages, some pages seem to be over 300k and as I'm only on a 56k connection opening 10 or more new posts proves quite time consuming.

Like I said, I'm unaware of anything I've done to make it this way. Could there be something on my hosts side that is causing this, is there an easy way to find out? Any settings I should check to make sure they're correct?

My forums are located at http://forums.3eb.co.uk and are hosted by http://www.downtownhost.com

Many thanks for any help I can get!

I browsed your forums and noticed GZIP was disabled.

Try enabling this in the admin panel, also turn off the no-cache headers.

You'll find this in the Cookies and HTTP Header Options part of the Settings in the admin panel.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I've tried with GZIP enabled and disabled but the results seem to be (oddly) similar.

I've turned off the no-cache headers too but so far there doesn't seem to be any dramatic increase in loading time for the new post pages.

Is there anything else it could be?

Comment

wysiwyg editor javascript files not being cached by the browser and those being fetched everytime a page loads.

Try turning off Quick Reply i guess.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Guess I'll just have to lump it, my users would kill me if I removed the quick reply feature.

Comment

I'm experiencing the same problem, any help?
            -Kenny Herman
            [email protected] (or possibly [email protected])
            AIM: kennyherman and/or captanobvs
            http://www.exoticcarforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
              wysiwyg editor javascript files not being cached by the browser and those being fetched everytime a page loads.

Try turning off Quick Reply i guess.
              That would be quite odd though if that were the case. The forums here are fine, everything loads quickly and my user settings are the same here as they are at my forums. I'm just wondering if maybe I've done something wrong with my forums when upgrading.

Is there anything that I could have done to get this sluggishness when I upgraded?

Comment

absolutely nothing.

Try creating a default style and see if browsing with that has the same problem.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I'm having the same problem on my board... Turning off the Quick Reply definitely helped. Unfortunately, my members would string me up if I turned that option off. I've noticed that even this board runs a little slow when you open showthread. Is this an issue that can be addressed in the next upgrade?

Comment

Its definately not an issue happening to my computer so I suspect its the wysiwyg editor, i suggest turning it off if its causing slow browsing.
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

The wysiwyg editor is turned off at my forums as far as I'm aware, at least I specified for that to be the case.

Turning off Quick Reply did definitely speed things up a little but nothing like before.

If this continues to happen is there a way to revert back to how quick reply was before beta 6? Everything was speedy enough then.

Or maybe I should just wait until the final version is out and see if I'm having the same problem then, maybe it'll just go away

Comment

Would everything work if I just substituted the quick reply code in showthread.php in beta 6 with that of beta 5? Quick Reply was quick in beta 5 but it's defeating the object in beta 6, at least for me anyhow.

There doesn't seem to be a solution forthcoming other than turn off quick reply and I really don't see why I should have to when everything worked fine before.

Are there any other steps I need to take other than substituting the code?

Comment

you can't subsitute the code any more, its completely different hbetween beta 5 and 6. The only possible time it would be slow is if you were using wysiwyg and you didn't require a click.

Try turning on requiring a click for the QR and see if that works.
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I've done as you say and it seems to be slightly quicker. Would there be any way to allow requiring a click to be turned off and speed to be increased? Maybe in future versions? Also, I have WYSIWIG disabled at my forums but they're still slower than here, where WYSIWIG is enabled, is that purely down to my webhost?

Also, why is there such a difference between beta 5 and beta 6 in terms of speed? I'm just interested. Is it something to do with my browser, my crappy 56k connection, my host? I can provide usernames and passwords if checking settings is what's needed to find out.

I'm just intrigued why there is such a difference when to all intents and purposes the new version should be quicker for me.

Comment

FWIW, Beta 6 loads faster than Beta 5 for me, because of the improved JS code.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X