Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I am having such trouble with subscriptions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I am having such trouble with subscriptions?

When somebody signs up for a paid subscription, I have the system add them to an additional usergroup - this group, amongst other things, gives them a special image beneath their username. However, this never works unless I actually go into their account and setup their PRIMARY account as their new level. Why is this? Am I doing something wrong?
    My vBulletin Forums:
    cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Just an FYI - I visit your site (the 80's site) using Opera and every page has a blank white box in the upper left-hand corner, takes up like an 1/8 of the screen.
    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

Should I have the system assign them to a new PRIMARY instead of ADDITIONAL? If so, how does the system go about downgrading them when their subscription is up? Does it remember where they were before? I have no REAL reason, at this point, to have them in more than one usergroup at a time...
      My vBulletin Forums:
      cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael2
        Just an FYI - I visit your site (the 80's site) using Opera and every page has a blank white box in the upper left-hand corner, takes up like an 1/8 of the screen.
        Thanks for letting me know.. I just fixed a bunch of stuff to get it working in Netscape.. As soon as I have some time, I'll take a look into what's going wrong with Opera..
        My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Can anyone offer any help?
          My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

I have the same problem. It doesn't change the user group when they purchase the subscription.

Comment

Do you have IPN setup to respond back to your server?

Login to Paypal Click Profile and then select Instant Payment Notification.

Make sure that this points to
              http://www.yoursite.com/forums/subscriptions/paypal.php
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Yeah, I do have that setup - and it works to some point.. It actually does set the user up into an additional group - but they don't get their special image unless I manually upgrade their main access level to their new level.

It's hard to explain this problem. If I were to set this up so that once they pay, the system puts them into a new primary instead of an additional - how does the system know which group to put them back into when expired?

If this works, then maybe I'll just forget about the additional group and make the new group their primary. I'm just under the impression that vB wont know where to put them back to...
                My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

yes it moves them back.

It stores there primary usergroupid when they move. pusergroupid and once the scheduled task runs to remove them (once a day it runs) it will set there groupid back the original.

How are you adding the image? Username markup or ranks or usertitle?
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                    How are you adding the image? Username markup or ranks or usertitle?
                    I just tried on mine (I'm having the same problem) and neither way works - they both apparently need to be the primary group to take affect. Any other ideas?
                    Google Earth Hacks - Golf Nation
                    Screen Dig - That's Pretty Dumb
                    Tech Support Humor

Comment

Yes changes to the secondary usergroup have little to no effect. If I want to setup a forum specifically for paying members, it has to be setup as a primary usergroup, a secondary usergroup won't work.

edit: This basically means that I can't offer a subscription to my Super Moderators.
                      Last edited by The Dude; Tue 13 Jan '04, 7:50am.

Comment

I'm having this issue as well. I just enabled the IPN PayPal feature after reading about it here, but I had to do two subscriptions manually. I currently have the subscription group both users chose set to change their primary user group to a new "Contributors" group yet I have the standard "Registered Users" checked in the Addtl group listing as well. I devised this setting after having problems with the first subscriber.

Anyhow - I realized that this too was not working - I set the subscriber into the Contributor group via the Add Subscription screen. While it changed his primary user group, things like his custom title (subscriber feature) were not enabled. His name did change color though, one of the features I have enabled under the subscriber plan.
                        sigpic

Comment

Changes are made the first time the user posts.
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

[edited] Never mind

Comment

Just a simple question for anyone having problems with the image not showing up, what does your conditional look like?

If you are using $bbuserinfo[usergroupid], it wont work, you have to use is_member_of($bbuserinfo, usergroupid) to be able to check both primary and secondary.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X