Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 domain names, 2 licenses, Same posts and users etc. Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 domain names, 2 licenses, Same posts and users etc. Possible?

Hello,

Like some advice please.

I would like to share my forum between two websites I own and run (on the same server, obviously). Both sites will be on the exact same subject (just from different 'angles').

I would like the forum to have two different looks, and two different domain names, so in effect they appear and act as two completely seperate forums. I want all links in each one to the correct domain name.

So basically, I want to share content and members, but to visitors to domain1 they only ever see any references/links to domain1, and visitors to domain2 only ever see any reference/links to domain2.

Possible? Even if you have to hack a few things?

Thanks.

Paul
    Trained Monkeys

hey paul, its KJ_dagreenmini, you could maybe use if statements to check the referer. For example, you could check when they go to the forum where they came from. Set that as a global variable and run an if statement on the forum to decide which styles to use and which hyperlinks to use.

i.e..

if referrer=domain 1
    use this style and these links

else if referrer=domain 2

else use a standard style and standard links.

i think you'd have to hack for this idea. But it seems sound hypothetically.

Comment

Originally posted by scri
      hey paul, its KJ_dagreenmini, you could maybe use if statements to check the referer. For example, you could check when they go to the forum where they came from. Set that as a global variable and run an if statement on the forum to decide which styles to use and which hyperlinks to use.

i.e..

if referrer=domain 1

else if referrer=domain 2

else use a standard style and standard links.

i think you'd have to hack for this idea. But it seems sound hypothetically.
      Hello,

I wanted to do more than this, I've already viewed some options but they're not as 'complete' as I'd like.

I want to have two MINI sites (MINI2 and one more 'personal'), but when people use the other site (no idea of a name yet), I want them to have absolutely no idea they are sharing with MINI2, and vice versa. So all emails, log-ins and outs, links will be unique to that site, but the rest is shared. Using styles you cant avoid certain elements being shared.
      Trained Monkeys

Comment

Thought I'd bump this to see if I can get any help/advice from vBulletin staff?

Thanks.

Paul
        Trained Monkeys

Comment

This would require lots of complecated hacking! You may as well buy another license!

Comment

I'd need another license anyway as it's 1 license a domain.

I'd appreciate to know any suggestions, basically I would need to have them both point to the same database, only a couple of things would have to be different, not sure exactly what though.

It shouldn't be too complicated, but I'm hoping a vB person can fill me in, after all, there's an addition license purchase going begging here.

Trained Monkeys

Comment

You're looking at a decent amount of hacking to change where some data comes from (styles perhaps, vB options).

And you'd also need to address the issue of people linking within the board (to another thread) and change the domain name appropriately. That probably wouldn't be all that hard actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan
                You're looking at a decent amount of hacking to change where some data comes from (styles perhaps, vB options).

And you'd also need to address the issue of people linking within the board (to another thread) and change the domain name appropriately. That probably wouldn't be all that hard actually.
                I could quite easily parse the code once and replace all domain1.com/forums with domain2.com/forums links to sort out the second point (or were you thinking another way?).

I've posted for input on vB.org too, here's what I was thinking...

===================

Thinking about this further, the only things I can see that would need to be different to create this seperation would be that you'd need...

Two different setting database tables.
                Two different config.php files (but that's no problem as they will be two different installs).
                Possibly two different template tables, but I could probably work it with one.

I would have to probably hack the code and change all references in domain2's install to the alternative table(s).

Anything else people think I might be missing, or that you might like to add?

If/when I do this I'll of course share results, however frightening.

=====================

I'd appreciate help, but don't expect it, I'm going to do my best to work this out one way or another (I hope you don't mind be installing another vB just to test until I'm sure I can do this properly).
                Trained Monkeys

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_M
                  I could quite easily parse the code once and replace all domain1.com/forums with domain2.com/forums links to sort out the second point (or were you thinking another way?).
                  That's all I was thinking.

Two different setting database tables.
                  You're going to need to work something with the datastore table too (that's where we cache setting values). At least the options record is going to need to be duplicated.

Possibly two different template tables, but I could probably work it with one.
                  With the settings being seperate, you could probably get away with disabling the users' ability to change styles and changing the default style appropriately.

Comment

That's all I was thinking.
                    Excellent. Someone on a a similar wavelength.

You're going to need to work something with the datastore table too (that's where we cache setting values). At least the options record is going to need to be duplicated.
                    Forgot about that table, I'll have to take another look and see what's inside.

With the settings being seperate, you could probably get away with disabling the users' ability to change styles and changing the default style appropriately.
                    That's what I was thinking too.

Looks do-able really, just got to figure out how many scripts refer to those tables, to see how much hacking would be required.

I'll probably try and take a closer look tomorrow.
                    Trained Monkeys

Comment

I really don't think it would take that much hacking. I know someone who has done exactly what you are talking about. Take a look at http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/ then talk to Jag and find out what he did to make the Jag and Aletia forums use the same database.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Clinard
                        I really don't think it would take that much hacking. I know someone who has done exactly what you are talking about. Take a look at http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/ then talk to Jag and find out what he did to make the Jag and Aletia forums use the same database.
                        Thanks, I took a look, and he's not done what I am doing at all, they're the same forum, same links etc. Much simpler/probably more sensible than what I have in mind.

I have mostly all working now apart from a problem I didn't forsee, that is related to subscription email notifications.
                        Trained Monkeys

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X