Private Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Forum

This might seem like a real noob question, but since upgrading to beta 5, I cant seem to make private forums.

Normally when adding or editing a forum before there was a radiobutton asking if the forum was private, this would make it visible to Admins only. This is no longer there. I would then add each member to the forum individually using the forum access masks.

Now how would I implement the same on the vB 3.0.0? Or is there something i am missing?

Thanks in Advance

I did it in 3.0.0 Beta 4 by making the private forum (there is an option as you said) and then making a usergroup that can access it but no one else(just admins) and then you add your members to that. There's even a paypal payment system so you can charge the user group that can access that forum.

-Mike

Digital Media Fusion<--Web hosting and design, cheap and affordable websites for all!
    Tuner Carz Forum .:|:.Tuner Carz.:|:.Dv6cougar.com.:|:.Midwest Neco

Comment

The private forum option always had problems and caused more confusion than anything else, so the option was removed. You can setup a private forum using forum permissions directly.

Comment

Yeah that was how I ended up doing it in the end, created a new forum and edited the permissions so that only Admins can see it.

So I take it that I add each user to this forum using the Access Masks?

Comment

Well, you can do it by usergroups or users. In this case, since all the admins are probably in one group, you can just do it with usergroups. If you need to create exceptions to the rule, you can use access masks on top of that.

Comment

How does one make use of the subscription system to charge users? I'm being very thick here, but I just can't seem to get it to work
            Play -> http://www.drake.org.uk
            Work -> http://www.moving-picture.com
            IMDB -> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1279160/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan
              Well, you can do it by usergroups or users. In this case, since all the admins are probably in one group, you can just do it with usergroups. If you need to create exceptions to the rule, you can use access masks on top of that.
              Here's the deal.
              1) Private forums that are set for "upgraded" member groups.
              2) the regular members should be able to see it's there, but not enter it
              3) it SHOULD NOT just say "no posts" when the try to enter
              4) it SHOULD show on forum home "Private" not just locked.

The idea is to let members know it's there and want to see what's in it to intice them to upgrade. If they don't see it at all, or see "No posts in the last X days, there is no incentive.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X