Moving Servers Step 3 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Servers Step 3 Help

OK, I was running version 2.2.8 and did the backup in the admin control panel that dumps all the tables to a dump file called vbulletin.sql. Well, I couldn't get it to restore to my old tables through mysql after I upgraded the forum, I tried it with version 2.3.0 and just now with version 3.0 beta 4 installed. I connected through my ssh program and logged into the mysql server by typing "mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD" and it logged in fine. Then I typed "mysql forums /public_html/temp/vbulletin.sql" with "forums" being the new database name that version 3 is installed in and I hit enter and all is does is sit there on the next line with a arrow "->" and does nothing. I even tried to create a new empty database and just tried to dump the tables in there using the same commands and it didn't do anything again, I used phpmyAdmin to check it and it was still empty. Am I typing the commands wrong or something? Are there any other ways of restoring my old tables?

Originally posted by nimmo
    OK, I was running version 2.2.8 and did the backup in the admin control panel that dumps all the tables to a dump file called vbulletin.sql. Well, I couldn't get it to restore to my old tables through mysql after I upgraded the forum, I tried it with version 2.3.0 and just now with version 3.0 beta 4 installed. I connected through my ssh program and logged into the mysql server by typing "mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD" and it logged in fine. Then I typed "mysql forums /public_html/temp/vbulletin.sql" with "forums" being the new database name that version 3 is installed in and I hit enter and all is does is sit there on the next line with a arrow "->" and does nothing. I even tried to create a new empty database and just tried to dump the tables in there using the same commands and it didn't do anything again, I used phpmyAdmin to check it and it was still empty. Am I typing the commands wrong or something? Are there any other ways of restoring my old tables?
    Its is recommended that you don't try and backup the database using the admin control panel because of php timeout issues. Maybe that is what has happened and you haven't backed up your database properly.

You have to use ssh/telnet to backup the database.

Comment

To restore a backup, run this from the shell and in the directory containing the backup file:

mysql -uUSERNAME -p DBNAME < vbulletin.sql

You will then be prompted for your db password (the one in config.php).

Note if you are restoring a 2.2.8 DB to a 3.0 forum, you will then need to run the upgrade script as outlined in the Announcement.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

u can backup ur DB this way to

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79229

Comment

Originally posted by Kahmoon
          Please note that this is not a consistently reliable way to backup your database - particularly as it gets larger. You run the danger of making an incomplete backup and not knowing it until you try to restore it.

If you have ssh access - which nimmo already indicated he has - then that's the most reliable way to backup and restore a database.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X