Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we increase to 32 and still have the problem how high up would the next step be? In increments of 8 I assume?

JFE'sI we never had this problem prior to our server move to a new host. So I'm pretty sure this has to do with our settings. Just wish I could go back and check our old settings on the old server.
    Last edited by Cynthia; Tue 7 Dec '04, 4:57am.
    Eat Your Veggies

Comment

• I've got two more-or-less identically configured servers (val and prod).

When I load mod_mysql_auth into apache on prod, vbulletin throws these errors, and the concerned apache threads throw segfault(11) all the time. All other sites on the machine still run fine.

On val, the module is loaded all the time, and everything runs perfectly.

I just found the issue: the package installed on prod was libapache-mod-auth-mysql 4.3.9-0.dotdeb.0 (I'm running Debian), while on val I had 3.2-1 (probably standard debian package).

After downgrading to 3.2-1, the problem was solved, without changing default php.ini settings.

Comment

• OK...I made the change to 16M

I have been having a TON of server OVERLOADS....I have 2 gigs of RAM on my system....and for months now...ZERO problem...server loads like 0.2 & 0.4

NOW...all of a sudden..I'm spiking to 35.8 and 29.4 and silly things like that!!!

Could this be related?????

Kirk

Comment

• I'm experiencing this problem now on my new webservers...

I'm running Centos 4.0
          with the following installed via rpms
          php 4.3.9
          httpd 2.0.52
          eaccelerator 0.92

And I already tried raising the memory limit in php.ini to 20MB.

The errors are getting are as follows:

Code:
          [client 137.52.52.52] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 20971520 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /var/www/html/forums/search.php on line 975, referer: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?
          Allowed memory size of 20971520 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 0 bytes)
          [client 207.215.54.110] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 20971520 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /var/www/html/forums/search.php on line 980, referer: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?
          [client 205.188.116.65] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 20971520 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 17 bytes) in /var/www/html/forums/search.php on line 839, referer: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
          The database server this webserver is connecting to hasn't changed. So this setup was not producing any errors until I just upgraded the machines and the OS.

This has to be a conflict between some of the packages installed on the system.

-Nick

Comment

• Upgrade to php 4.3.11 for security.
            Upgrade to apache 2.0.53 for security.

Try 32MB for php and what is your max_packet_Size ?

Comment

• I'm grabbing the new packages now...

In my.cnf it's max_allowed_packet = 16M

-Nick

Comment

• I have same problem time to time, so i found very hungry search script with common words:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137360

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  in shell type

locate php.ini

it varies depending on operating system and path PHP was installed to.
                  Steve is this located in Cpanel or VB Admin ? In Shell means?

Thanks

Comment

• That is a server file. Only your host can edit it.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      Forgive my ignorance but why is allocating 16 or 32 MB 'absurd' on a server with 2 GB mem and running 600-700 concurrent users?
                      The setting we are talking about here has absolutely nothing to do with visitor concurrency. Setting this value to 32MB means that PHP has the freedom to allocate up to 32MB of memory to handle the current request.

Do you know why this setting exists in the first place? It's there to prevent PHP from running the system into the ground. The (intelligent?) developers of PHP decided that 8MB was more than adequate for most systems. You're suggesting here that we should quadruple that value to handle large result sets (NOT to handle large system loads) on systems that consequently have large loads. This is asking for DOS conditions.

I routinely see apache servicing forum requests for 25 users concurrently (mod_status). If all 25 users (or one malicious user) do something fun at the same time my server is going to instantly try to alloc 800MB of memory. You've got some customers on here blindly running PHP with memory limits of 64MB!

What happens when some script they write (for some other portion of their app) has a bug that this 8MB limit would have safely caught? Now the system is spiraling out of control as each thread (or process) doesn't explode until it hits 64MB. The consequences of setting this limit beyond 8MB are much further reaching than you are realizing.

There is obviously a problem in the underlying architecture of vBulletin that needs to be fixed. Continuously asking customers to bandaid the solution by upping the memory requirements -is- "absurd."

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbadbob0
                        There is obviously a problem in the underlying architecture of vBulletin that needs to be fixed. Continuously asking customers to bandaid the solution by upping the memory requirements -is- "absurd."
                        Okay. If you do not want to actually fix this problem then please feel free to post this as a suggestion in the 3.5 Suggestion forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          Okay. If you do not want to actually fix this problem then please feel free to post this as a suggestion in the 3.5 Suggestion forum.
                          You're missing mine and many of the other posters in this thread's point. Upping the memory isn't a fix, it's a workaround. I upped my setting to 12MB and worked around one isolated problem I was having. Unfortunately, based on the knowledge I've gained reading through other's problem, it appears that this problem is going to continue to grow as my forum grows.

Step 1 is admitting you have a problem. You're currently still in denial.

Comment

• I'm not denying anything.

For now it's the only fix available, What you want requires a major rewriting of vBulletin and no matter how much this bothers you, it's not going to happen any time soon.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• For future searchers, I posted in the suggestions forum as Steve suggested:
                              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1062258

I'm probably in the minority here and on top of that I'm not exactly the biggest poster-child customer you have, however, I would rather you fixed this problem than implemented just about any of the other suggestions in the "suggestion box."

It would be nice to see a major release of vBulletin that was targeted entirely at performance and security. Just call it a huge code review and refactoring session. Yeah yeah, I'm dreaming, but as an administrator I'm all for stability and robustness and could care less about new whizzbang features.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbadbob0
                                It would be nice to see a major release of vBulletin that was targeted entirely at performance and security. Just call it a huge code review and refactoring session. Yeah yeah, I'm dreaming, but as an administrator I'm all for stability and robustness and could care less about new whizzbang features.
                                I generally like vbulletin and I'm happy enough with the support, but I'm all for that too. I started this thread two and half years ago, though, so I wouldn't hold my breath. In the interest of full disclosure though I admit that after I moved servers once, it stoped happening for no rhyme or reason.
                                Sebastián J. Bianchi

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X