Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aric
    replied
    OK. I think everything is working fine. I have left the alteration that i spoke of earlier to the functions.php file.

If some one could do me a favor and register on my site to see if you get the welcome email. I understand if you don't have the time. All my friends have gone to bed already.

http://www.makemydinner.net

Thanks for all of your help.

Aric

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    I tested this with and without the email registration and notification and validations.
    The code is clearly wrong, so I honestly don't know why it actually worked for you.

Leave a comment:

• aric
    replied
    Ed. I am sorry I emailed you. I just read your signature. Sorry about that.

Aric

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    Unfortunately, SMTP problems are not my forte. It's especially hard to troubleshoot when it doesn't say where the error was from (I'm not 100% what '.' means [if anything], in this case).

But looking at these two lines:

Originally posted by aric
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 Connection originator claims to be DNS name: "localhost [127.0.0.1]"

Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 Connection originator claims to be: "adimaging"
    What's 'adimaging' -- computer name?
    Also, what happens if you redo that change you made to functions.php?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I tested this with and without the email registration and notification and validations.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Interesting. Can you explain why the old code works on my forums but not his? Is this a server OS issue?
    Steve, I'm guessing you get notifications of registrations. That code path sets the $email variable.

Leave a comment:

• aric
    replied
    OK I am running into a small problem.

When I register a new member from my local network, everything works fine. i get teh welcome email after I have clicked on a link.

I just had a friend register from across town, and I am having a problem. Here are my mail server logs.

SMTP IN:

Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 SMTP Incoming connection established over TCP/IP...
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 Connection originator claims to be DNS name: "localhost [127.0.0.1]"
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 Actual connection IP address is: [127.0.0.1]
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 SMTP Server posted 1 messages with a total size of 1 (k).

SMTP Out:

Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 SMTP connection attempt for host "swbell.net" using DNS Cache values.
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 DNS Cache for Host "swbell.net" will expire at: Thu, Jul 17, 2003 22:33:39.
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:56 SMTP connected to server "sbcmail1.prodigy.net:25" using TCP/IP to send data for host "swbell.net".
    Error Log:

Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 Warning: SMTP Incoming connection:
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 Connection originator claims to be: "adimaging"
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:55 Actual connection IP address is: 127.0.0.1
    Jul 17 2003 20:40:56 Error reading data from .

The SMTP Out shows a connection was made, but no email sent. And the error logs last line shows error reading data from. I have never seen this before. Does "error reading data from" mean it does not know who the email is from?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by aric; Thu 17 Jul '03, 6:39pm.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Interesting. Can you explain why the old code works on my forums but not his? Is this a server OS issue?

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    Great. This change will officially appear in beta 5.

Leave a comment:

• aric
    replied
    YES YES YES! That did it! I have been trying to fix this problem for almost a week! You are the man.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    Actually, I just had a bit of a "duh" moment. Let me know if this fixes the problem (of not getting a welcome email) for you.

In register.php, find:

Code:
    vbmail($email, $subject, $message);
    Replace it with:

Code:
    vbmail(htmlspecialchars_uni($_POST['email']), $subject, $message);
    Now try registering (without email confirmation). Do you get a message after visit the board?

Leave a comment:

• aric
    replied
    ED. I have edited one file in setting up my configuration with my Mac OSX Server. It was talked about earlier in this thread, includes\functions.php . I have replaced that with the original, and the problemm still exists.

Can you think of a file that if changed would be causing this problem?

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    I believe someone posted a code change to make them send out immediately, but I forget where it was.

Beta 5 will have the option to disable the queue.

Leave a comment:

• aric
    replied
    I turned email varification on.

I went to a different machine and registered, leaving the "Thank you for registering" screen on, making sure not to click any links.

I ran the query, and the value is now 1.

Running the query must have emptied the que, as I just got the varification email and after running the query again the value is now back to 0.

As an additional note, I just got the welcome email. But I don't get them when email varification is turned off.

Is there a hack that will send email out instead of waiting in the que? I am just concerned that if someone registers, they will wait a good amount of time for their confirmaiton email as this is a brand new board with only 2 users.
    Last edited by aric; Thu 17 Jul '03, 2:42pm.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    The only other thing I could think of is that you're moderating new members. If you do that, then they won't receive a welcome email when they register.

If that's not the case, out of curiosity, what happens if you turn email verification on and do what I said in my post above, again? (Should probably go 0 -> 1 -> 0.)

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X