Email Problem - Delay in Sending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Problem - Delay in Sending

Email for new users is queing - so sometimes they don't get a confirmation for over an hour! (we are in test mode - no busy server)

And then, it is sent in reverse order - first subscriber last

I was told that there is a fix to enable the email to be sent immediately - but I have serached the entire board and cannot find it. Can someone please show me how to fix this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by innovateur; Sat 12 Jul '03, 12:38pm.
    Innovateur
    Support Network for High-Growth Ventures

I believe the fix will be in Beta 5. Meanwhile you can trigger the email queue by accessing the forums and threads and by increasing the value in the 'Number of Emails to Send Per Batch' setting in the Admin CP.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve - Thats improved it quite a bit (but still a little slow and in reverse order - look forward to the fix).

FEI the settings are at:

Admin Control Panel >> Options >> vBulletin Options >> server settings and optimization options >> Number of e-mails to send per batch
      Innovateur

Comment

Scott

The problem still persists - I have increased the batch number to 10,000 and it continues.

New users and test users do not get e-mail for many hours - indeed, it seems that when I log into the control panel it triggers the sending of those e-mails?

If I reduce the batch to 1 it seems to work OK too but I don't know if its just because I am logged in to the control panel.

I don't understand, because e-mail form this forum is sent immediately (i have tested the server end it send straight away and there are no plroblems on e-mail diagnostics.)

Is there no solution to ensure the new user confirmation and other e-mails are sent instantly?

Should I increase the batch size to 10000000000 ?

Thanks
        Innovateur

Comment

Accessing the forums is what triggers the emails:

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          I believe the fix will be in Beta 5. Meanwhile you can trigger the email queue by accessing the forums and threads and by increasing the value in the 'Number of Emails to Send Per Batch' setting in the Admin CP.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ditto here...

I have exactly the same symptoms. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, but when is Beta 5 supposed to be released? Is there some sort of hack that can be done to fix this on our own?

Thanks

Comment

The only thing available is what I posted above. Also I have no idea when beta 5 will be available.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                The only thing available is what I posted above. Also I have no idea when beta 5 will be available.

Steve, could it be the GD-required image verification option that is causing this? I had mine on by default, but noticed that the image was not being displayed during registration. I suspect my host does not have or use GD. When I turned off the option, my email started to send immediately. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by erkme73
                  Steve, could it be the GD-required image verification option that is causing this? I had mine on by default, but noticed that the image was not being displayed during registration. I suspect my host does not have or use GD. When I turned off the option, my email started to send immediately. Just curious.
                  Nevermind...

Comment

Originally posted by erkme73
                    Nevermind...
                    My board (oakstead.org) is brand new, and only has about 10 users. There is simply not enough forum activity to prompt queued email to send out. Today, a new user signed up at 6:30. He did not receive his "activation email" until after I logged into the admincp - at 8:30. I'm afraid that new users will give up on the site before every receiving full registered user status.

Is there any way to put any some subtle pressure on those responsible for a fix? My site is for a neighborhood, with a potential of 500+ users. Unfortunately, with such little start-up activity, this may prompt some to never come back.

Thanks...

Comment