Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subscriptions question regarding moderators and their new user group.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subscriptions question regarding moderators and their new user group.

Hey. I'm setting up a subscriptions user group and am wondering what happens when a moderators pays.. How can I get them into the new user-group while still keeping them in their Moderator user-group?

And.. I guess I can't have two rank-images. Currently, my moderators have a unique "Moderator" image beneath their username. If a user pays for a subscription - they get a "Supporting Member" image.. What happens when a Moderator buys in? Do they lose their Moderator image (replaced with a Supporting Member image) or do they get both?

Thanks in advance...
    My vBulletin Forums:
    cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

You can set moderators and other usergroups to 'also be a member of the following usergroup'.

Check a profile of a moderator.. you will see.

Comment

Thank you for replying.. Can I set this so that it automatically happens if and when they subscribe? Say I'm a moderator and I pay for a subscription... What happens? Does the moderator need to go in and add them to both usergroups?

And what happens with the Rank Image? Do they get two? Or is one replaced by another?

Thank you for your help...
      My vBulletin Forums:
      cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

I guess either I'm the only one curious about this - or I'm the only one that just doesn't "get it"...
        My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
          I guess either I'm the only one curious about this - or I'm the only one that just doesn't "get it"...
          It really depends how you've setup your usergroups.

My method ->

There are 2 primary usergroups for different sorts of users, Adminsitrators (duh) and Registered. All normal members belong to the registered group.

The registered usergroup has basic privs, no signatures or avatars, no private messaging, and so forth. If a user is to have any of these privs, it is granted by an additional usergroup. (A no in registered and a yes in an aditional usergroup == a yes overall, for permissions)

IE - registered has "can edit others posts" set to no, but if a user gets promoted moderator, they get an additional usergroup which allows it.

My recomendation for your setup:

Have a normal user a member of either "supporting member" or "registered" with moderator being an additional usergroup. However, i dont know how rank images will work with such a setup. I just added a few extra conditionals to templates to check for usergroups and add images accordingly. (To do it the method i used - you need to modify adminfunctions_template.php unfortunatly )

I hope i didnt confuse you (it took about a week of thinking and drawing for me to understand how id do it)

Comment

Thank you very much for helping here - but I'm still very confused. I just had a Moderator sign up for a subscription and it didn't work properly.

I just went into his account through the CP and manually added him into the additional user-groups.. How can this be automated in the future?

Why hasn't anyone from Jelsoft taken part in this discussion? I think all of us "out here" have our ideas and ways of making this work. But Jelsoft employees should be able to give me a 100% solution.

Thanks all for trying to help so far! I do appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
            Last edited by Sal Collaziano; Thu 17 Jul '03, 5:05pm.
            My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Still hoping to hear from Jelsoft...

Thanks...
              My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Sorry but this issue is beyond me at this time. I haven't had the time to use the subscription feature.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I believe what you want it to do is have it add moderators to the subscription group, while change the usergroup of everyone else.

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to do this would be to manually handle moderators, while setting it up to work without a problem for normal users.

Comment

It does look like that would be the only way at the moment.. I'm having the biggest problem getting rid of the "edited by..." messages, though. The group that this moderator belonged to before has the option ON - It's turned OFF in the Subscriber group.. How do I make this function over-ride the previous group?
                    My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Unfortunately, a YES overrides a NO (the permissions are OR'd together).

You could have two moderator groups -- Moderators and Subscribed Moderators -- with slightly different settings ("edited by..." messages).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X