Some Quick Questions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Quick Questions ...

On my forums <http://talk.cabletvinfo.com/talk> I have forums, with forums in them, and so forth. For example in this forum <http://talk.cabletvinfo.com/talk/forumdisplay.php?forumid=7> there are various sub-forms for people to post their information in. I don't want people to be able to post new threads to that particular form, do I just check "NO" for Forum is open ... or is there another way to to it so there is no "New Thread" button?
    Last edited by StephenStrong; Thu 19 Jun '03, 7:11pm.
    [I]Regards,
    Stephen Strong

If you don't want ANYONE to post new threads, then yeah, set the forum not to be open. However, if you want yourself or your mods to be able to post new threads, you will have to leave it open, but configure usergroup permissions for that forum to achieve this.

If this is the case, go to Forum Permissions (there is a link to it under both Forums & Moderators and Usergroups), and scroll down to that forum. Then click edit next to each usergroup and apply the appropriate permissions (You will need to select that you are going to specify custom permissions at the top of each page)

Comment

Thanks for the help fury,

I have tried editing specific user group permissions and closing the forums, but the "Post New Thread" button is still there and at the bottom of the page it still says "No New Threads Posted in the Past 30 Days" ... I want it to be like http://www.tvlinksonline.com/boards/...p?s=&forumid=7 where there is No New Thread Button, or the notice about no new threads ...
      [I]Regards,
      Stephen Strong

Comment

Edit your forumdisplay template

Find two instances of this:

Code:
        	<if condition="$showthreadslist">
        Replace them both with this:
        Code:
        	<if condition="$showthreadslist AND ($forumperms & CANPOSTNEW)">
        Last edited by fury; Fri 20 Jun '03, 2:15pm.

Comment

Originally posted by fury
          Edit your forumdisplay template

Find two instances of this:

Code:
          	<if condition="$showthreadslist">
          Replace them both with this:
          Code:
          	<if condition="$showthreadslist AND ($forumperms & CANPOSTNEW)">

Thanks for the info! My only concern is won't putting these in the formdisplay template change all the forums, not just the specific ones I want changed?
          [I]Regards,
          Stephen Strong

Comment

Originally posted by StephenStrong
            Thanks for the help fury,

I have tried editing specific user group permissions and closing the forums, but the "Post New Thread" button is still there and at the bottom of the page it still says "No New Threads Posted in the Past 30 Days" ... I want it to be like http://www.tvlinksonline.com/boards/...p?s=&forumid=7 where there is No New Thread Button, or the notice about no new threads ...
            If you're viewing it as the admin or mod you'll probably still get to see the new thread button. Try logging out and vie the forum again and see if it's still there.

Comment

Good Point Keith,

I didn't even thing of that ... but unfortunately after trying that out, I still see "New Thread" when not logged in as admin!
              [I]Regards,
              Stephen Strong

Comment

It will change all the forums that you have set not to allow new posts. (At least to the usergroups with that setting)

If you'd like to add a further step to make the hidden new thread button only occur for ONE forum, replace the code I gave you (both of them) with <if condition="$showthreadslist AND (($forumperms & CANPOSTNEW) AND $forumid == x)"> where x is your forumid

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X