Editing a protected administrator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing a protected administrator.

I've noticed this works, but when I was editing myself, it wouldn't let me.
    It should be changed so that if you ARE the super admin in question you can edit yourself.

Edit yourself in what way?

Comment

I presume via Admin CP - Remove your id from the "uneditable/undeleteable" setting in config.php, edit yourself, then re-add it

Satan

Comment

Kind of a long process though..

Comment

15 seconds to anyone quick enough

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
            15 seconds to anyone quick enough

Satan
            It's better to have it this way, though. If someone should ever hack your Admin account, they can't change anything in your account and lock you out. They would have to have your FTP info first to change it in the config.php. And since anyone hacking your account will not have that info, it makes you almost invulnerable to them.
            vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

How about this then...
              When you go to edit your Uneditable profile, you must specify another password... Would that work? The user would then need to know 2 passwords which is unlikely that they will....

Comment

Originally posted by TripleH
                How about this then...
                When you go to edit your Uneditable profile, you must specify another password... Would that work? The user would then need to know 2 passwords which is unlikely that they will....
                It is likely, however, that they will simply create a new admin account and wreak havoc, knowing that they themselves cannot do much more than that...

No amount of protection can prevent that from happening...Unless, of course, you only have one admin, with no admin permissions, not a super admin and uneditable/deletable

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by TripleH
                  How about this then...
                  The problem you would have with that is that there are a lot of boards that have 2 or 3 admins that are all friends when they start out who share each other's account info becasue they trust one another and somewhere along the line, a riff happens and there are hard feelings. It's too late when that happens to wish you had kept those passwords to yourself. The way they have it now is an excellent approach to a very sticky situation. And besides, there aren't too many times you really need to chnage your Admin info. Not enough to warrant not having your butt covered, anyway.
                  vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by Boofo
                    The problem you would have with that is that there are a lot of boards that have 2 or 3 admins that are all friends when they start out who share each other's account info becasue they trust one another and somewhere along the line, a riff happens and there are hard feelings. It's too late when that happens to wish you had kept those passwords to yourself. The way they have it now is an excellent approach to a very sticky situation. And besides, there aren't too many times you really need to chnage your Admin info. Not enough to warrant not having your butt covered, anyway.
                    Lol your choice of words intruiges me

Anyway Boofo is right

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
                      Lol your choice of words intruiges me

Anyway Boofo is right

Satan
                      Why does my choice of words intrigue you? Just stating it the way it is.

Comment

Ok I guess thats a good point guys.
                        Thanks anyway.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X