No announcement yet.

Perhaps it would be better to upgrade a test database first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is pretty much a given, if its possible for people to have the space to simply create a new one to do the upgrade on, wither that or "start a fresh" im sure some of your databases are starting to get a little bit raggedy after this, a forum i frequent are unable to update counters of any kind because of problems with the DB and are doing a fresh install of VB3, and archiving some of the decent threads and leaving the spam to rot
    Craig Peters
    Webmaster Astrominia.com Ltd

Comment

I think our database is around 4 Gigs... with attachments being 2 gigs ALONE!

We're having huge troubles upgrading... does anyone have any suggestions ? We have two dedicated servers that we can use, one of them is a Pentium 4 2.4ghz and 1 GB of Ram... the other is a cely 1.7 with 1 GB of ram which is usually hit.. we're gonna try to do the upgrade on the other server...

Comment

Originally posted by BrettG
        I think our database is around 4 Gigs... with attachments being 2 gigs ALONE!

We're having huge troubles upgrading... does anyone have any suggestions ? We have two dedicated servers that we can use, one of them is a Pentium 4 2.4ghz and 1 GB of Ram... the other is a cely 1.7 with 1 GB of ram which is usually hit.. we're gonna try to do the upgrade on the other server...
        not sure if the celery 1.7 will even handle it... the P4 2.4ghz would be strained as well

before any upgrading is done, do you have a backup made ?
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Well I have to say this method rocks. However, falling into the wrong admin's hands this has the potential for much evil, like changing member passwords and reading their pms. Thankfully I was able to exercise restraint but you might not...
          Matt
          Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
          Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

If you are on your own dedicated server, doing a test run is very easy. Simply create an account at a different IP address, create a new blank database and import your current database to that new account using a backup database copy. Then load VB3 and have fun doing tests and tweeks without touching your "live" forums.
            can i run vbulletin v3beta in a different set of folders on the webserver (eg ./forums3/), using a different-named database copy - and simultaneously keep my existing 2.3.0 installation running as usual until i have had time to check that all the mods and hacks i have on my existing board (quite a few) are duplicated in the new version??

ie run two parallel vbulletins? (the beta one not publicised to my users yet)

Comment

Yes you can do this as long as one of them is strictly a test forum (in 'testvb') and is not accessible to the public. Make sure you set the cookie paths correctly otherwise you will have cookie problems going from one forum to another.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Just bumping this so it's active again.....
                Webmaster:
                @forumz

Comment

Additional question about this process

I have gone through a dry run, upgraded a copy of my old database, gotten the styles/colors the way that I want them, and am pretty much ready to go live with vb3. My question is where are all the style setting stored? I'd like to just torch the upgraded database, make a new copy of my existing live database, and then just re-run the upgrade script and hopefully retain my style settings....

Comment

Error..

I am doing the test a local server and i get this error when i try to import the vb2 database to the new database:

Code:
                    C:\Network\MySQL\bin>mysql -u user -p forum < C:\Network\vbulletin.sql
                    Enter password:
                    ERROR 1064 at line 359728: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manu
                    al that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use nea
                    r '<br />
                    <b>Fatal error</b>:  Maximum execution time of 30 second

Comment

Forget the above question.. it was a timeout in the database at the backup procedure.

Comment

Would somebody please help me with the upgrade. I just need to know how to take a backup of my database - that is all.

Thanks.

Comment

See Step 1 here for instructions on making a backup of the db:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve,

I have read the above link a million times. The problem is that I have never ever backed up my database before leave alone use telenet/SSH before.

Following the steps please give me your consent accordingly.

Step One - Backup current database:
                            Telnet/SSH into your system (we'll call it machine1)
                            Done: Downloaded putty.exe onto the hard drive. My URL is http://www.forums.australian-universities.bz - when typed in the same under host name or IP address, it says network error. Is there something that I am overlooking - or is there an easier way of doing this?

I think the rest of the steps should be fine. Would really apreciate your help here please. Thanks.

Comment

See if this helps:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...09&postcount=7

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Interesting to see how much time it takes on different servers/forums. I've been on step 12, attachment table, for 10 hours now. Mozilla just shows an hourglass cursor.

Our attachment table is 2.3 gigs, almost all photographs averaging around 70k per. We have 500,000 posts in the forums. The server is dual 700-mhz processor, 2 GB ram, 7200-rpm disks, not much else running on it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X