Phrasing system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phrasing system

Ooookay, now vb3 b3 is out, let's talk about the phrasing system...

I'm french, and in french, "Add avatar" is translated by "Ajouter un avatar", and "Add picture" is translated by "Ajouter une image".
    But in vb3's system I have either to translate "Add {1}" or "Avatar" or "Picture"... and here is the problem: in french like in many other languages (I think), you can't get rid or articles like a/an in english...

So, perhaps did I miss something important, but right now the phrasing system doesn't seem complete
    NDFR.net - Communauté informatique

What about:

{1}: Add

Comment

It makes sentences look like they are said by robots...

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy
        Ooookay, now vb3 b3 is out, let's talk about the phrasing system...

I'm french, and in french, "Add avatar" is translated by "Ajouter un avatar", and "Add picture" is translated by "Ajouter une image".
        But in vb3's system I have either to translate "Add {1}" or "Avatar" or "Picture"... and here is the problem: in french like in many other languages (I think), you can't get rid or articles like a/an in english...

So, perhaps did I miss something important, but right now the phrasing system doesn't seem complete
        You're right.
        I'm Russian and speak in Russian. And want translate vB3 to Russian. But it's very impossible...
        Language system good for English, but not for other language.
        Sorry for my bad English! :)

Comment

Originally posted by inetd
          You're right.
          I'm Russian and speak in Russian. And want translate vB3 to Russian. But it's very impossible...
          Language system good for English, but not for other language.
          I agree with you ... I'm french like benjy...

Language system is a little bit ****ting because some words are isolated and we should always check how and where they are used in the forum for correctly translating the senses of sentences ...

Moreover, for having a good translation, I am quite sure that it will be necessary to create new conditional variables of words or phrases and so we should modify a lot of templates ...

For the moment I do not control yet very well VB3, but I hope I'll find soon more simple solutions for translating VB3 ...

Comment

Example with Last Visit, Last Activity, Last Post in User Manager.
            Translation to Russian:
            Последний вход
            Последняя активность
            Последнее сообщение

As you can see, in Russian it is three different words, and in English one word - Last.
            How I can make translations with vB3 Language System?

Comment

I think the best solution, if you don't want to rewrite all the phrasing system would be to:
              - check if there's a translation for "Add Avatar"
              - if not, use translations from "Add" and "Avatar"

Other problems that have crossed my mind:
              - "added" can be translated by "ajouté", "ajoutée", "ajoutés" or "ajoutées": english doesn't care of the genre and the fact that it is plural or not (problem that cannot be solved with my previous 'solution')
              - only the first word of a sentence is capitalized e.g. "Add Avatar" is translated by "Ajouter un avatar"

Comment

I think, Developers should think and improve or completely alter Language System. Because in such variant it is unsuitable to usage.

Comment

I agree with all of you.. I tried to translate some phrases on vBulletin and had the same problem. I speak spanish and there are some translated phrases that doesn't sound too good in spanish.... They sound like robots...
                  ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

It's almost like the system Ikonboard uses (actually I don't know if they still use it), it was very difficult to translate because you didn't know in which context those words you are trying to translate are and after the translation, many phrases sounded totally stupid...

I have to agree, this system makes updating the forum easier, but translating it is extremely difficult.
                    Please, either revert to the previous method or improve it, although I don't know how that could be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Icheb
                      It's almost like the system Ikonboard uses (actually I don't know if they still use it), it was very difficult to translate because you didn't know in which context those words you are trying to translate are and after the translation, many phrases sounded totally stupid...

I have to agree, this system makes updating the forum easier, but translating it is extremely difficult.
                      Please, either revert to the previous method or improve it, although I don't know how that could be done.
                      I сompletely agree with you!

Comment

We are going to improve the phrases for you, don't fret too much about it right now.

Comment

Excellent news freddie. Please keep us updated about any news
                          ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

Originally posted by freddie
                            We are going to improve the phrases for you, don't fret too much about it right now.
                            Good news, freddie!
                            Originally posted by JulianD
                            Please keep us updated about any news
                            I agree with author

Comment

Originally posted by inetd
                              Example with Last Visit, Last Activity, Last Post in User Manager.
                              Translation to Russian:
                              Последний вход
                              Последняя активность
                              Последнее сообщение

As you can see, in Russian it is three different words, and in English one word - Last.
                              How I can make translations with vB3 Language System?
                              Not to seem rude, but the very fact that you have 3 words for one English word makes it impossible to translate the word as a different word, unless you actually upload a Russian person into your vB to distinguish which word is meant to be used

The Language system, although not perfect, is pretty good, and I am sure vB devs will improve this as much as actually possible

Satan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X