PNG support in vB3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNG support in vB3?

i noticed MANY problems with PNG images in vBulletin when they are used in avatars, etc.

am i just confused? does vB3 deal better with this?
    me? :cool:

I don't see how vBulletin would be responsible for this.

Could you be more specific?

Are you trying to use PNGs with opacity/transparency in Internet Explorer? (You know that IE does not properly support PNG, right?)

Comment

PNG is dead, forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by romanticyao
        OK, if PNG is dead, what is alive besides JPG and GIF (yech)

-Zxin

Comment

Originally posted by romanticyao
          JPEG sucks at compressing the color red and has no transparency.

GIF is limited to 256 colors and 1-bit transparency.

So what format would you suggest since PNG is "dead"?

And PNG is not being used only because Microsoft refuse to make IE properly support it. If IE had supported PNG properly since IE4, my websites would be done in PNG and JPG format these days.

Comment

You can use .PNG images for avatars and attachments, try it out if you like.

Comment

We've strayed off-topic a bit, sorry.

In response to the original question, I can't imagine why PNGs would be a problem for avatars or attachments.

Comment

First of all, PNG is not dead! IE Doesn't even support it correctly without using Javascript to make it use an ActiveX control, and once it does finally support it correctly, you can bet I'll be using it on some pages.

Secondly, the only reason there would be a problem with PNG's in vB, is if the browser didn't support them properly, ex: IE.

Comment

what i meant to say is, yes, there is a bug in explorer preventing from displaying png properly. png images w/ transparancy need to be embeded differently if you are to support explorer users.
                  so the question is if vB3 will "support" png images, meaning will it automaticaly generate the code or will i have to hack?
                  me? :cool:

Comment

Will vB3 always have a monstrosity of Javascript on each page just in case there might be a transparent PNG on the page?

Um.... No.

Comment

actually it's about 12 lines of javascript... but umm... no.

Comment

http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

Looks like a logistical nightmare. vBulletin does not specify image sizes because most browsers can live without them. This script does not look like it will work unless you specify image sizes for every image.

Fetching the image sizes and keeping them in memory (to maintain forum performance) would mean vBulletin would have to require MySQL 4 and GD2 in order to support PNG.

Hmm...

The question is, how many people would use PNG for avatars and stuff like that?

I'd like to use PNG for design on my websites, but I can't with the situation the way it is.

Comment

Not everyone uses Internet Explorer and PNG provides a powerful image format that is not encumbered by prohibitive patents and licensing fees such as GIF is.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Not everyone uses Internet Explorer and PNG provides a powerful image format that is not encumbered by prohibitive patents and licensing fees such as GIF is.
                            Well, I just pressed BACKSPACE to delete a character and IE thought I wanted to go BACK to the previous page, completely wiping out this edit box.

BLAH!

Why people have not hacked IE6 and written patches for it is beyond me. People will spend hours cracking software but won't spend 5 min removing stupid crap like that.

I'll rewrite my reply later.

Comment

There are better methods than the way PNG Behavior does it, as well as being able to use
                              Code:
                              imageElement.currentStyle.width
                              to get the current width, whether or not it was specified in the tag. (The image must be loaded first however).

Blah, I still don't think it would be a good idea to include it in vB.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X