Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

google shmoogle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • google shmoogle?

    i've been running vb for a while now, maybe 6-8 months. very very happy.

    recently, search-enginability started becoming an issue... how is vB with search engines? i hear many don't get past .php?XXX is there an archive, like an html non-editable version? like, say, any posts older than 10 days are to be moved to the "archives" and archives are moved out of the database? (while still keeping post counts?)

    i guess i'm asking two questions in one... let me get back to the important question:

    what issues does vBulletin 2 have with search engines and how will new release address those issues?

    thank you for any assistance!
    me? :cool:

  • #2
    Originally posted by gogga
    i've been running vb for a while now, maybe 6-8 months. very very happy.

    recently, search-enginability started becoming an issue... how is vB with search engines? i hear many don't get past .php?XXX is there an archive, like an html non-editable version? like, say, any posts older than 10 days are to be moved to the "archives" and archives are moved out of the database? (while still keeping post counts?)

    i guess i'm asking two questions in one... let me get back to the important question:

    what issues does vBulletin 2 have with search engines and how will new release address those issues?

    thank you for any assistance!
    Hoefully there will be an archive option that will display forum and thread links in a format something like /forum7/threadid.php like ubb does. I would like to see the option to either use the curret system as forum and thread view or to be able to use a more search engine friendly url. There is a hack for trewriting urls to that format for vb 2 and I have it installed and spiders regularly go deep into threads and posts on my forum.
    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by AWS
      Hoefully there will be an archive option that will display forum and thread links in a format something like /forum7/threadid.php like ubb does. I would like to see the option to either use the curret system as forum and thread view or to be able to use a more search engine friendly url. There is a hack for trewriting urls to that format for vb 2 and I have it installed and spiders regularly go deep into threads and posts on my forum.
      AWS, this might interest you:

      http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...=&pagenumber=3

      it is a hack for current version of vB that allows for search engine indexing. however, i am looking for a similar feature incorporated into vB system rather than an external hack.
      me? :cool:

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gogga
        AWS, this might interest you:

        http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...p;pagenumber=3

        it is a hack for current version of vB that allows for search engine indexing. however, i am looking for a similar feature incorporated into vB system rather than an external hack.
        As far as i know, an archiv will be a standard feature of vB3. So don't worry about that.
        Greetz Alex
        Spasschat-Team - the best chat, you've ever seen :)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AlexD
          As far as i know, an archiv will be a standard feature of vB3. So don't worry about that.
          cool cool cool

          well, i installed that one i put a link to and it's looking pretty good!
          me? :cool:

          Comment


          • #6
            http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive
            Notice:

            http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive/forum/2.html
            http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive/thread/31.html

            Just implemented this, its a archive by the mod at vB.org

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Arunan.S
              http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive
              Notice:

              http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive/forum/2.html
              http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive/thread/31.html

              Just implemented this, its a archive by the mod at vB.org
              Which mod at vb.org?

              Looks good BTW. Is that a true archive? What I mean by this did the mod convert all your threads to static pages?
              That is what I am looking for. I would like to archive all threads and posts to static folder and pages. I could then prune the db of these. It would keep db size down but you wouldn't lose any posts.
              Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Did you read anything in this thread?

                  That still uses the db. I am looking for a way to archive the posts, a true archive where posts are converted to flatfiles and locked, and then after archiving delete the posts from the db. DCforum has this ability and I beleive UBB does also.
                  Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well that archive I use, does not save it on files, it is actually used to make it be able to be spiderable (the posts that is)

                    I may lookinto a solution to save the posts threads etc into flat files as you say.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A few things:

                      First, Google doesn't ignore "?"-type addresses. Do a search for Hereward FM Norfolk and you'll see the first result is www.mediauk.com/directory/?county=Norfolk and the second result is www.mediauk.com/directory/radio/?presenter=yes&s=G

                      I spent a while rewriting my site to not use these - so www.mediauk.com/radio/103 now works, as well as www.mediauk.com/directory/radio/detail.html?id=103 but this doesn't appear to make much difference to my Google listings. Similarly, you'll note our forums use URL rewriting too, with a hack I wrote myself, actually: I've not really seen any benefit using it, mind, and it does break a few things if you're not careful.

                      I think the new URLs are neater, and nicer - but I don't reckon it actually has any effect with Google.

                      J

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arunan.S
                        http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive
                        Notice:

                        http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive/forum/2.html
                        http://www.noxmedia.net/support/archive/thread/31.html

                        Just implemented this, its a archive by the mod at vB.org

                        dead

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The problem is with the sessionid's for guests, isn't it? Simple dynamic characters aren't the issue.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LanciaStratos
                            The problem is with the sessionid's for guests, isn't it? Simple dynamic characters aren't the issue.
                            Yes... People have actually been saying this for months.
                            Translations provided by Google.

                            Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So what exactly is the problem with google indexing and the way vB2 is? I have a script on my site that has pages such as news.php?action=view&newsid=1234 and google indexes them just fine. Why doesn't it work with vB2?
                              Seriously! - The Definitive Home of All Things Serious
                              Seriously! Forums

                              To recieve support on these forums, enter your username here.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X