Installing new version 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new version 3

I have a tremendous number of customizations to my forum. I'm back at version 2.0.1. Will I have to start completely over on my customizations? I must have put in a good 200 hours of customizing. Or, is 3.0 similar enough in it's templates that I can simply install the new code? You can see my forum at http://forum.portraitartist.com

Also, can I set up a sub-directory and install into that initially while I'm testing it out before I go live?
    Last edited by cdaniel; Fri 30 Aug '02, 8:19am.

You will have to redo your customizations.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Groan...that means for me setting aside at least a week from my busy work schedule.

And, what about testing in a sub-directory before it goes live?

Comment

think about it tho... would SDR ram work in a DDR slot? no..
        www.xixora.com
        Goldrush : A Soldier of Fortune Modification going for the GOLD!

Comment

No doubt you are way beyond my technical knowledge. Could you explain what you mean in language someone like me can understand please?

Thanks

Comment

We have always allowed you to install a second private copy for development and testing purposes.

I think you will find the template system in vBulletin 3.0 much more powerful than that in vBulletin 3.0. Most things that required hacks before do not now and you have much more flexibility in your templates using vBConditionals.

Wayne Luke

Comment

WLuke,

I assume an announcement will go out when the beta is over and it's ready for everyone?

When I have my development version ready to post live, during that period that I'm down, is there something I can do short of sending out an email announcement that the forum will be down for a period of time?

Or, I could just load up my own html page saying "we are currently upgrading, please check back...."

What do you suggest and when do you think 3.0 will be fully ready?

Thanks,
              Cynthia

Comment

Well, first off, I don't do time schedules so I am not sure when it is going to be ready.

We will make an announcement when it is ready and the notification in your admin control panel will change to reflect the vBulletin 3.0 release if you are on 2.2.0 or higher.

As far as installing vBulletin 3? I personally will first upgrade my development forum and integrate my look and feel into vBulletin 3.0. I will also replace any hacks that I created for my sites. After this is done, I will export the style(s) to be used and upgrade my live forums. All told, I don't think they will be down for much more an hour if that long. Once the upgrade is complete, I will import my customize style and the forum will be ready to go.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks for your input. Will there still be changes to 3 based on input? I was a bit disappointed in the member list and search page.

Comment

I've seen it mentioned that there will be no more major features implemented. I'm pretty sure there have been changes to the search feature in the last week or two though. Couldn't hurt to mention your ideas.
                    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

Will this work:

Installing vB 3 on the webserver vB 2.2.x is running and connecting vB 3 to the database vB 2.2.x is connected to. Then, after making all styles, template-changes, hacks etc. to vB 3, just switching the board.
                      Sorry, my english is not the best

In short words: is it possible to run two versions of vB at the same time, just for upgrading? Or are there any changes to the database, so that vB 2.2.x isn't running anymore as soon as vB 3 is connected to the database?

Comment

There is lots of changes to the databases, so you couldn't run vB3 and vB2 off the same database. You will also need to be using the latest version of vBulletin I beleive to upgrade to version 3, which is 2.2.7 at the moment.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

For safety's sake I will be taking a mirror copy of the database and using that for the private testing forum, so I can see if anything does get affected by the upgrade.

Comment

Praxin,

That's how I'd play it. Make a copy of the database and play with vB3 for a day or two and then when you're happy, shut down the old forum, backup and import the new database and do a full upgrade.

I'm really excited. One of the big things will be not having to doctor php files for basic hacks. Also being able to work with attachments in the Admin CP will be great. My forum dB is spiraling out of control re: size because I have not done anything about stale attachments.

Comment

Originally posted by Grendel
                              Will this work:

Installing vB 3 on the webserver vB 2.2.x is running and connecting vB 3 to the database vB 2.2.x is connected to. Then, after making all styles, template-changes, hacks etc. to vB 3, just switching the board.
                              Sorry, my english is not the best

In short words: is it possible to run two versions of vB at the same time, just for upgrading? Or are there any changes to the database, so that vB 2.2.x isn't running anymore as soon as vB 3 is connected to the database?
                              Of course it is possible to run more than 1 Forum on your Domain, with 2 different Sets MySQL Tables. During Installation you should be actually able to give a prefix or suffix to all Tables. If you chosse forum2_ i. e. all your tables would have a forum2_ prefix, like forum2_bbcode in stead of bbcode. Than you can install the vB3 in a sub-directory of your Domain.

Be sure you create a different named set of SQL-Tables, I some time ago wrecked a db with about 100.000 Posts in it, because I forgot to rename when installing a new board

Comment

Working...
                              X