Protecting member info in forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting member info in forum?

I’ve added the htaccess file to the /includes folder, and have set permissions in config.php to limit control to me alone. Does that, by extension, protect information submitted by members (their email addresses, etc.), or are those bits of data still exposed?

Sorry I don't understand what you did or what you are asking. Please explain.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

As I understand it, tweaking the permissions in the config.php file, then adding htaccess to the /includes folder protects hackers from being able to view the config.php file in a browser or making changes to it that would allow an outsider to hijack the forum.

What I’m not clear on is how or if member information is equally well protected, ie, can a hacker gain access to all the email addresses in our forum, etc.? If that’s still vulnerable, how do I better protect those bits of valuable info?

Comment

You don't need to change any permissions for the config.php file. As it's a PHP file, it'll be parsed before it's output anyway, so it'll only output a blank page.

There are no known security issues, so member data can't be accessed unintentionally through vBulletin.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Please see this thread on how to make your vBulletin more secure:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172234
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X