Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Servers + Upgrade, Wanting best way to go about this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Servers + Upgrade, Wanting best way to go about this...

Running 3.07 modded on linux running php 4.3.10 and mysql 3.23.58
    New server is running php 5.0.4 and mysql 4.1.1
    Im also wanting to upgrade to vbb 3.5.4

I've been searching and reading, but am quite confused as to what the best way to do this would be.

upgrade to 3.5.4 > then move to new server ?
    upgrade old server to same php and mysql and then upgrade to 3.5.4 then transfer to new server ?

Thanks for any help...

upgrade and then move would be my suggestion.
    Joshua Combs
    Webmaster/Founder Quad4forums.com | ECOTECforum.com
    Streamline Web Solutions
    [email protected]

Comment

vB 3.5.x would be best run on latest PHP 4.4.2 and MySQL 4.x which is more inline with your new server, so i'd move then upgrade if i was you
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
        vB 3.5.x would be best run on latest PHP 4.4.2 and MySQL 4.x which is more inline with your new server, so i'd move then upgrade if i was you
        Im not really sure how to ask my question.
        If I upgrade to 3.5.4 on the box running the older php/mysql, and then transfer it to the other box running the newer php/mysql, vbb isnt going to have any issues because it was upgraded with the older versions of php/mysql ?

I know that I have had this problem with the lesser messageboard systems out there. Its almost as if since it wasnt installed with the newer php/mysql, it just plain broke down once it was on on the newer platform.

Comment

You may have database compatibility issues restoring a backup from MySQL3 to a server running MySQL4.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            You may have database compatibility issues restoring a backup from MySQL3 to a server running MySQL4.
            Thats what I am trying to avoid. How can I ?

Do I need to do a clean install on the new server and then import to the new install from the old ? Would that get around having compatibility issues ?

Comment

best way to avoid it is upgrade old server mysql to same as new server mysql before doing the mysqldump, then transfer to new server to do the vB upgrade
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X