No announcement yet.

Attachments now unopenable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way to know for sure is to restore those backups and check the attachments.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

We've had to roll back a month worth of posts.
      Even then we still have a few bad attachments, but we just can't keep losing stuff.
      I plan on upgrading everything to 3.5.x next, so that version numbers can't be blamed for the odd happenings.
      Is there a MySQL version we should be running as well to avoid any other surprises?

Comment

I also noticed an option that said to move files to the filesystem.
        Is this a valid option? Can I really have the forum just store attachments to the filesystem where they really should be? I've never trusted anything that stores files inside a database, as this whole mess shows me.

Comment

As I said the only way to fix this is to run those queries on an uncorrupted database before doing anyything else.

Yes, the option to move attachments to the file system is a valid one, otherwise I don't think our Developers would have added it.

Note: That option will not work on a server running PHP in safe mode or with open_basedir restrictions.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The month old copy was the least corrupted copy we had, so we went with that. We've learned not to trust backups anymore...

Is there an more indepth discussion on setting this attachment option elsewhere?
            If it's just a PHP setting change that will let me move the attachments to safer storage, I'd be more than willing to.

Comment

There really is nothing more to do. If you ran those queries than that's the extent of it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Well, we upgraded to 3.5.4, and we're settled with things as they are.
                I haven't found any discussions on the merits of changing to file system attachements and what safe mode and base_dir settings in PHP do.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X