Attachments now unopenable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments now unopenable

I imported a forum into the main forum and did the usual maintenance to get it finished.
    At this point everything was fine.
    I did some cleaning though, and after this, all old attachments are no longer openable.
    All new posted attachments can be opened just fine.
    Is there an easy way to fix this?

Define no longer openable? They download and won't display? They won't download?

Comment

It downloads something.
      When the appropriate program tries to open it, like word or powerpoint, it says it is corrupt.

Comment

What did you import from? The more info you can provide, the better we'll be able to help.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I imported from a backiup copy of the same forum, except I deleted all forums besides one that was missing.
          The only thing that would have been added was this 'new' forum and its attachments.
          I believe the import was fine.
          What I think happened is the maintenance options are what caused the grief.
          I basically went down the list of commands in the update counters section, hoping to ensure things were cleaned up.
          I normally only do the first 6 options, but this last time I went allt he way down the list.

Comment

This sounds like an issue with the import. Did you use Impex?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes.
              The forum version is 3.0.7, and the Impex I believe matches that version.
              I am planning on upgrading to the latest version of vbulletin if I can only get the forum to stay stable for a few days.

The import was done from vb3 into vb3, so it would worry me if this is somehow import related. I would think that would be the easiest import to do.
              I will be loading a backup copy of the forum here shortly to see if I can fix it that way, unless there is an easier way.

Comment

It may be an issue with using Impex with 3.0.7. That is quite an old version and Impex has not been fully tested with all out-dated versions of vB.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The impex in use was current at the time of vbulletin 3.0.7 though.
                  I am loading some backups now to see if I can pinpoint the exact moment of corruption and I will pass this on shortly.

Comment

Impex has been updated countless times since 3.0.7 was released and as I said it is not tested with outdated versions of vB.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok, this is a bit more distressing.
                      It seems the corruption occured before I even tried the import.
                      In fact, the imported forum is actually one of the few that has working attachments.
                      Apparently something else in the past caused this corruption.
                      It is possible it was related to the pre-import preparations.

Comment

Did you backup and restore that database prior to this? If so, there is a corruption problem with shell backups for vB 3.0.x made with the mysqldump from MySQL 4.1.x. To fix this problem, run these queries on the db prior to making the backup:

ALTER TABLE attachment CHANGE filedata filedata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL, CHANGE thumbnail thumbnail MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customavatar CHANGE avatardata avatardata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customprofilepic CHANGE profilepicdata profilepicdata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

We found that a character set issue in MySQL 4.1.x is at fault. Converting these fields to mediumblob fixes the problem.

This is not an issue with vB 3.5 because these fields are already set this way.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

That may be the problem.
                          I've gone back as far as my first backup of this year, and I still have corrupted attachments when I try to load it.
                          So, what I need to do is create the tables empty, alter them, then load the data?
                          The backups I have are done by the forum itself, but I have more recent ones done via mysql command line.

Comment

The only way to fix this is to run those queries on an an uncorrupted database. If one is not available them you will need to delete the attachments that are corrupted. I recommend doing this in the Admin CP rather that directly in the database.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

We REALLY don't want to lose any attachments.
                              Anything that has to be done to restore them, we are more than willing to do.

So, you are saying that even the forum's own backup would be corrupted if these alters were not done?
                              We do not have an unotuched database that I know of.
                              I do constant backups in order to NOT lose all our data.
                              I never would imagine that the backups themselves would be corrupted.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X