No announcement yet.

Please help - trying to restore db backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My host? Oh yeah they do - they say they do not provide 'support walkthroughs' when it comes to database rebuilds or anything to do with databases because then if something happened, they would be legally responsible - are you kidding me??? My forum is down - you are the HOST of my website and you won't provide support?

I have 100 women waiting for me to restore this dang thing and it ain't pretty

I wonder if I could just take the files and the database backup and transfer to a new host

Comment

Yes you can, and their are alot of free 90 days ones.
      I will post them here quickly and they have same price I believe.

This is the place I am going to get next year? Why not now you may think? I am in a dumb contract for two years and my host is like yours in disk space & bandwidth, but this place is double and has online helpdesk? Busniess hours, but at least I can talk to them without paying a phone bill.
      http://www.site5.com/hosting/comparison.php
      Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Mon 6 Feb '06, 4:45pm.

Comment

Hey Nicks..i appreciate everything - you are the only one helping me and I cannot thank you ENOUGH!

Do you know how to chmod permissions - do I do this via the config.php file that came with mysqldumper? I uploaded mysqldumper and am attempting to figure out the installation but I don't think i have the right permissions - just curious if you knew how to do it offhand..thx!

Comment

I do not know what you file manager page look like, but it should have a box with numbers and empty spaces? Do you have a picture of this?

I am going to download a copy and try this out to see how it works?

Comment

what do you mean file manager?

Comment

Your FTP client should be able to set chmod 777 if you have that option in your proggy.

Pardon, I was thinking on cpanel? you can set it in FTP client? I have SmartFTP.

Comment

Gotcha - i looked but did not see that option - I use WS_FTP95LE - i could download Smart FTP though - does that give you the option ??

Comment

That is more advance and I back off from trying it out?

You should able to right the folders within that FTP of yours and find properties/chmod, then set them at that piont?

Now where is Colin F. when you need him.
                  Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Mon 6 Feb '06, 5:11pm.

Comment

I use http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump to import large files.
                    ...steven
                    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

The only way we were able to get this done was with the help of a small hosting company, http://www.ksphosting.com/
                      We switched to their hosting service and they restored our database - we are DONE with RockinSavings - i cannot believe how terrible they were!
                      Last edited by wendyod10; Tue 7 Feb '06, 5:00am.

Comment

I hope you got a detail how to's from your new host for restoring your database? It just for future reference on your part.

Comment

I expect that they just took the complete backup file and restored it for their customer (or this host offers SSH access).
                          Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                          Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Upload your database to your ROOT directory on your server (not in your forums folder). Then ask your host to enable SSH so you can use "Putty" connect to restore your database as one file.

Then download Putty and start it, then enter your domain name to connect (ie: garybolton.co.uk), you will then be asked for your password and username (same one you use to connect to your server cp). Once you enter that and connect, enter the database path below I quoted with your details of course. The just press enter and after a few seconds if all went well you will be asked for your password again, enter that and the database will be restored. Remember though, you have to create the database first in your server CP before you can restore it back to that empty database

Code:
                            mysql -u your_username -p your_password < /path/to/vbulletin.sql
                            example:

Code:

mysql -u xxxxxxx_forum -p xxxxxxx_forum < /home/xxxxxxx/vbulletin.sql
                            If your host refuses to enable SHH. You might as well go get another host who will enable it. I also had the same issue with my host at first after I haq the same problem. They refused to enable it for me at first saying they didn't offer that service. But after I sent an email saying I wanted my domain tranfaring and the reason why, they enabled it. So don't take NO for an answer. Tell them without SHH there is no point you being hosted with them.
                            Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 19 Feb '06, 8:15pm.

Comment

You can upload database in pieces and I guess that sever must had problems with people using SSH, this can bring a server down if you start excuting or injecting some file in the system.

I am glad you move to another sever and got the help in restoring your database awhile ago.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X