board emails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• board emails

my server host is paranoid about security and has disabled the email function, so emails from the board do not work

i have raised this issue with them and they will not alter the setting which i believe is part of the server side

i have received this suggestion from them

The bulletin board is using php mail() function to send mails. Due to security concerns we have now disabled user nobody from sending out mails from the server. php mail() function sends mail as user nobody which is being blocked by our server. You can implement pear function to send mails. It uses default email address to send mails. Please check the url http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.mail.mail.send.php to get the pear function for using mails.
    they seem to think this will solve the problem, i have looked at the site and it is way over my head, can anyone help

i have looked at 3.5 and see that emails can be done via smtp but again i do not really understand and am not sure that moving to 3.5, which i do not want to do yet, will solve the problem

suppose a server move would solve the problem but again do not want to do that

have just received the further unhelpful mail from them

We suggest all other clients to implement pear function for mail to overcome nobody issue. I hope the vb support team can help you in implementing pear function.
    thanks

tony

Your only options without sigificant hacking is to either find a more suitable host, or upgrade to 3.5.1 and use the SMTP options.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanks steve, not much fun either way, but need to sort it so will be back with more questions

Comment

ok moving on as the host is not helping me, i have looked at the SMTP mail function in 3.5 and am lost

have tried a few settings and cannot get it to work

can someone with more knowledge talk me through it

my board domain is diplocks.co.uk, i have a username and password to get into Cpanel or into the server via ftp, do i use those for the name and password or do i need to set something up, i can solve most problems by blundering about but i think i am missing something here

thanks

tony

just realised this should be in the 3.5 thread, can an admin close this thread and i will ask over there
        Last edited by tony adams; Sat 19th Nov '05, 4:39am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X