Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential problem with enormous threads..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential problem with enormous threads..?

Hiya

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section to ask this in, as I don't have a problem at the moment but am a little worried that one may develop in the future.

We're running what is, I suppose, a small to medium forum - around 600 new registrations a day, between 800 and 1,300 on the User Activity stats page (not sure if this is unique users or just user sessions), and between 1,500 and 2,500 posts a day - which is part of a much larger website. A group of users have decided to try for a million-post thread which, at their current rate, will take around 12 years to complete.

Now, part of me thinks, 'Just leave them be - they'll get bored after a few weeks,' but I can't help but wonder what sort of effect this could have on overall forum performance. We haven't had any problems with performance thus far, but could a thread this large pose any risk to our servers?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul.

This will eventually task your server. How much and when depends on the server itself.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X