Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimizations/settings for VERY active forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizations/settings for VERY active forums?

My server load is through the roof and that's on a dedicated server. It's a P4 3ghz w/ HT & 1gb RAM. You think upgrading to 2gb of RAM would help much?

My site is a picture/video posting community, we've been online about 2 months and have already served almost 3 million attachment downloads so I figure a lot of the server load is because of the high amount of downloads/views of attached media. Right now we probably average about 150 currently active users and it's in the 175-230 range a lot.

Is there a thread here where admins of large boards discuss their settings to keep everything running fast/efficient? Or better yet a list of the server intensive settings so I can check them and optimize where necessary?

I'd greatly appreciate some insight from you other admins (as well as the vb staff), thanks! Also, I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move it where necessary.

The 'server' forum is nice, there are sticky threads there that can help you.

Moving attachments to the filesystem will help you a bit too I guess.

Comment

When you say "through the roof" be as specific as possible too - e.g. post your top & free output from the command prompt, your mysql conf, etc. Those stats will help others see if you've optimized as much as possible, if your system is swapping to disk, etc.
      Boat Design & Boat Building Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X