Changing domains: Best way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing domains: Best way?

I have run a forum for 3 years+ and I think it is time to change the domain to something else. What is the best way to transfer the whole forum to the new domain but on the same server? Also, what redirect options could I use to redirect users to the new domain. I want to redirect users to the new domain no matter what url they enter, such as www.smsmasters.co.uk/forum www.smsmasters.co.uk/abc www.smsmasters.co.uk/anything

Thanks

As far as vBulletin is concerned, just make sure your cookie settings are not specific to your current domain. This setting should be blank:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> Cookie Domain

Also make sure your forum URL is updated:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum URL

As for setting up a redirect from your old domain to your new one, you would have to ask your host or post in the Server Configuration forum.

Comment

What control panel software are you using ?
      TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Latest cPanel, updated regularly

Comment

You can use the mod_rewrite rules to make users goto your new domain from old domain.

For replacing the URLs from your entire database for new domain, there was a suggestion from brad or xenon (not sure exactly)

Run this SQL query:
          Code:
          UPDATE post SET pagetext = REPLACE(pagetext,'olddomain.com',newdomain.com')
          Similarly for another tables/fields appropriate queries. like for PMs
          Code:
          UPDATE pmtext SET message = REPLACE(message,'olddomain.com','newdomain.com')
          dont forget to take a backup of ur default db first this can be server hogging process.
          TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment