Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change "from" field in email w/out changing forum title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change "from" field in email w/out changing forum title?

The title of my forum is "Welcome to the Forest" as seen here:

http://www.dminadventures.net/dminchat/index.php

I want it to stay that way, but want to change the notification emails so that the "from" field doesnt read:

[email protected]; [email protected]

How do I go about doing this?

Outgoing emails use the webmaster email for the "From" field:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Webmaster's Email

Change this to something else. Or you can try removing it.

Comment

thanks, Jake, for the reply. The part I want to change is the first part, where it says "welcometotheforestforums". "Welcome to the Forest" is the title of the forum, and I want to keep it that way, but when an email arrives I want it to say "DMin Chat" or something like that. I think I need to provide a new translation for a phrase, but I can't find it in the CP.

Comment

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Search in Phrases

Search for "welcomemail" in the Phrase Variable Name Only. Edit the matching phrase under the Email Subject Text category.

Comment

thanks Jake. I went into the phrase editor and edited the phrases under email subject text (along with all the other ones there.)

At the top it says:
          $vbphrase[digestthread]Text"$thread[title]" update
          for instance.

Under translation I put "DMin Adventures".

But when an email is dispatched, it still reads "WelcometotheForestForums"

Is there a place where I ought to edit the string directly?

thanks again, i've looked through the search in this forum, but couldn't dig up a reply.

Erin

Comment

Are you sure you are editing the correct phrase?

What is the body text of one of the emails you are talking about?

Comment

This is the body text: I've tried to edit all the automatic emails, but maybe don't know where to find this one:

Hello erinch,

taosment has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - An Immigrant gets a laptop - in the Prensky/Digital Natives Thread forum of Welcome to the Forest.

This thread is located at:
              http://dminadventures.net/dminchat/showthread.php?t=36&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

Comment

That looks like the "notify" phrase.

Comment

The notify phrase is one I "tried" to edit:

Here's what i see on my screen. Clearly I don't understand what I should do:

Varname$vbphrase[notify]TextReply to post '$threadinfo[title]'Help
                  Translations When inserting a custom phrase, you may also specify the translations into whatever languages you have installed.
                  If you do leave a translation box blank, it will inherit the text from the 'Text to insert' box
                  You may customize the translations further at any time.
                  English (US) Translation (Optional)
                  DMin Adventures

Comment

Enter a translation for the phrase into the box for English (US). Then the translation will be used instead of the default.

Comment

Hi Jake:

my paste in of the screen didn't work so well.

What is entered into the translation field is DMin Adventures (you can see this under the English translation optional in the paste-in in the previous post.)

I have this translation entered into every email subject phrase as an edit, but all of the emails come out "WelcometotheForestForums" as the "from". It's driving me nuts.

Comment

You say you are editing the "subject" phrases, but the "from" field isn't changing. The "subject" field is different from the "from" field.

Because there is confusion here, can you post an entire email with full headers so I can see exactly what you are talking about?

Comment

again, thanks. I don't know where to find the "from" field in order to change it, I guess. I thought that providing a translation for the "title" variable in the various email subjects in the phrase manager was the way to go about it? If there's a place in the manual to check, I'm more than willing to do it.

Here's a header. The email body is inserted below it:

Received: (qmail 8704 invoked from network); 27 Sep 2005 14:39:55 -0000
                          Received: from unknown (HELO mailfilter3.intermedia.net) (64.78.61.232)
                          by 0 with SMTP; 27 Sep 2005 14:39:55 -0000
                          Received: from localhost (mailfilter3.intermedia.net [127.0.0.1])
                          by mailfilter3.intermedia.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 42CA530F78
                          for <[email protected]>; Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:39:55 -0700 (PDT)
                          Received: from mailfilter3.intermedia.net ([127.0.0.1])
                          by localhost (mailfilter3.intermedia.net [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
                          with ESMTP id 10636-34 for <[email protected]>;
                          Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
                          Received: from scriptmail4.intermedia.net (scriptmail4.intermedia.net [64.78.61.206])
                          by mailfilter3.intermedia.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 2934830F8F
                          for <[email protected]>; Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
                          Received: from lh7829.intermedia.net (lh7829.intermedia.net [64.78.29.2])
                          by scriptmail4.intermedia.net (Postfix) with SMTP id E23DE38876
                          for <[email protected]>; Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:39:51 -0700 (PDT)
                          Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
                          Message-Id: <[email protected]>
                          Subject: DMin Adventures
                          [email protected]
                          X-Priority: 3
                          X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
                          Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:37:34 -0700
                          X-Real-From: [email protected]
                          Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
                          To: [email protected]
                          Mime-Version: 1.0
                          X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-5.892 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=ALL_TRUSTED,
                          BAYES_00, NO_REAL_NAME
                          X-Spam-Level:

body of email:
                          Hello erinch,

Jerry Tupper has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - An Immigrant gets a laptop - in the Prensky/Digital Natives Thread forum of Welcome to the Forest.

This thread is located at:
                          http://dminadventures.net/dminchat/showthread.php?t=36&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
                          Hi Tim. I posted some thoughts on the Teck Talk thread. Have a good one.

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

Yours,
                          Welcome to the Forest team

Comment

I don't know. It should be the webmaster email address, but you already checked that. I can take a look if you send me a PM with a URL and admin login to your forum.

Comment

I looked around. I have no idea why this is happening. I just tested a notification email on my test forum, and the "from" field was of this format:

Code:
                              "Forum Name Forums" <Webmaster's Email>
                              Where the red text is replaced by the value of those settings in the:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details

Your settings in that section do not correspond to the stuff in the "from" field of the email. And I know of no phrases for the "from" field besides "x_mailer" which is not customized on your forum.

At this point I would try uploading the original files to see if that fixes it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X