Brand Free Version - Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand Free Version - Problem

I have the Brand Free Version, and although I have followed all of the "Official Instructions" by VB Tech Support, to remove the Branding, it will only remove the Branding from the Footer but not from all other places in VB.

Specifically the issue, which no one has been able to figure out yet is this:

I have searched everywhere, to replace specifically the following text:

"Admin Control Panel (vBulletin 3.0.9)"

"vBulletin 3.0.9 Admin Control Panel"

"Moderator Control Panel (vBulletin 3.0.9)"

"vBulletin 3.0.9 Moderator Control Panel"

To replace the word "vBulletin" with the word "Version"

I did follow the official instructions to remove Branding AND in addition I also searched for it in all text and phrases and in all templates and "it is no where to be found".

I would sincerely appreciate anyone who could help me figure out how to do this. (I have been working at it for the past 12 hours.)

If anyone can figure this out. I would appreciate if would you would try it out yourself first (on one of your own "Test Versions of vB) - since I have received a lot of advice on how to to "fix" this, and non of the advice, actually works.

Thank you very much

Originally posted by Maplewoods
    I have the Brand Free Version, and although I have followed all of the "Official Instructions" by VB Tech Support, to remove the Branding, it will only remove the Branding from the Footer but not from all other places in VB.
    That's not tue. The offical response gives 6 places to remove all public instances of vBulletin.

There are no instructions for remooving the branding from the Admin and Mod CPs, because frankly those are not public.

Removing those instances requires modifying the .php files.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Removing Branding, Regardless of "Public" or "Private" vB

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      That's not tue. The official response gives 6 places to remove all public instances of vBulletin.

There are no instructions for removing the branding from the Admin and Mod CPs, because frankly those are not public.

Removing those instances requires modifying the .php files.
      Thank you very much for you quick reply. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Regarding the Problem:

On the Purchase page of Vbulletin, it states the following:

"Branding Free Option $120
      This allows you to remove all vBulletin/Jelsoft branding from this vBulletin Forum installation."

Go to
      http://www.vbulletin.com/order/
      (then select "1" for Owned or "Leased" - and Press "Continue" to go to the next page where it lists the Branding Free version for $120 as follows)

Anyone who purchases this and pays $120 has every reasonable expectation that he would be allowed (as the "vB purchase web page", states) "to remove all vBulletin/Jelsoft branding from this vBulletin Forum installation".

It doesn't say that it applies only to the "Public Part".

If some people only want to remove the Branding only from the Public Part, that is their Choice, but I feel that vBulletin should support all customers who paid $120 extra for the Brand Free Version (including those who expected the word "all" to mean "all" (vb Branding).

If it requires a Hack to modify some PHP file, I feel that Vbulletin should provide this Hack to their customers who paid an extra $120 for the Brand Free Option.

Thanks
      Last edited by Maplewoods; Tue 20 Sep '05, 6:58pm.

Comment

We do not support modification of core files, however I do believe to remove what you want you will need to edit the adminfunctions.php and modfunctions.php files. And to your reponse on vBulletin.org, it is 100% impossible to mess anything up while editing phrases using a search and replace, there area no database calls or javascript within the phrases themselfs, a mass search and replace if possible in 3.0.x will work fine.
        Last edited by Zachery; Tue 20 Sep '05, 7:11pm.

Comment

In addition to those files you need to edit:

admincp/index.php
          admincp/textarea.php
          modcp/index.php
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            We do not support modification of core files, however I do believe to remove what you want you will need to edit the adminfunctions.php and modfunctions.php files. And to your response on vBulletin.org, it is 100% impossible to mess anything up while editing phrases using a search and replace, there area no database calls or javascript within the phrases themselves, a mass search and replace if possible in 3.0.x will work fine.
            1) The problem I was referring to "messing up" was if you do a Global replace of "Vbulletin" in Templates (not in Phrases).

I have since Reinstalled the entire software and everything is back to it's original format and working (except for the following problem).

2) Specifically the issue is with AdminCP and ModCP. If I understand you correctly, no matter what anyone will ever do, in Global Phrase replacement, it is Guaranteed to not fix it in AdminCP nor in ModCP. So we are still left with an unsolvable (Paid for) Problem.

3) I understand that the real "fix", may be hidden inside the "adminfunctions.php and modfunctions.php files". I also understand that Vb officially does not like to give support changes to php files and no one has told me yet exactly what changes need to to be done.

Bottom Line is, we are back to Square One, with the Problem of a "Catch 22":

A ) vB is willing to accept everyones $120 for the privilege to remove "All Branding"

B) Yet vB can't tell me how to do it (officially, because that would involve mods to the php)

C) If I were to make changes to this php myself, vB could say that I am now "unsupported" because I made unauthorized mods to the PHP.

(I just paid $30 for an extra for a year of support/download + another $300 for Phone Support, for the year plus I paid $120 for the Branding Free, a Total of $450 and I still can't get it to do what it was expected to do ).

Does this sound right or fair to anyone?

Comment

I guess your right, but Brand Free to me means removing the 'Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0 Release Candidate 3' part. I can see your argument though.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X