X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Havard
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Also if your server is not running in Safe Mode you should consider moving attachments to the file system instaed of the databae.
    I see this mentioned quite a lot. What are the upside of this, and are there any downsides?

I guess on the plus side, the database gets smaller and thus puts less workload on the server? Is this CPU-wise, memory-wise or both?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    D'OH! 2 Mb is fine.

Leave a comment:

• RHarbison
    replied
    > It would be best to close the forums while doing this.

OK, I'll do that...

> I'm frankly surprised it's still 2 Gb.

You're reading too quickly, please look again:

>> I did that, and it decreased the size from 4 gigs to
    >> 2 megs, quite a savings.

Megs, not gigs, as in shrunk to what, .01%? of what it was before.

My photos are all huge, typically 200 to 300 kb each. I also had 1.5 gigs of overhead. (OK, so I hadn't optimized recently. I had a bad experience with VB2 where optimizing using dbwebadmin fatally corrupted my database)

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    It would be best to close the forums while doing this.

I'm frankly surprised it's still 2 Gb. It wouldn't hurt to run this again.

Leave a comment:

• RHarbison
    replied
    I did that, and it decreased the size from 4 gigs to 2 megs, quite a savings.

Speaking of optimization, I have a question regarding that... Should the forum be closed before running the optimization? I seem to remember needing to do that previously.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Run Repair/Optimize in the Admin CP. This should help optimize and reduce that table size:

Admin CP -> Import & Maintenance -> Repair/Optimize Tables -> Check All -> Continue

Leave a comment:

• RHarbison
    replied
    I just got finished moving the attachments from the database to the file system.

It did make the database just a little smaller From 4 gigs (1 gig of which was overhead) to about 2 megs. So yes, very significant space savings. (Obviously there are still a couple of gigs of attachment files elsewhere on the server now, but no more worries about the attachment database topping out...)

Another nice feature. I was never able to use the "attachment statistics" option before, my server would just hang and never finish. I'm guessing a 4 gig file had something to do with that.

Now, I click on it and the result is instant. Very cool!

Leave a comment:

• RHarbison
    replied
    OK, thanks. After thinking about it for a moment, it only seems logical that if I don't store the attachments in the database, I can get a lot more attachments before the SQL databases reach a size limit, right?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Yes, attachments are deleted when you delete the threads.

Leave a comment:

• RHarbison
    replied
    If you prune old threads, do the associated attachments get deleted as well?

Leave a comment:

• RHarbison
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Your attachment table is full - probably 4 Gb. You need to prune some attachments. Also if your server is not running in Safe Mode you should consider moving attachments to the file system instaed of the databae.

Bummer, dude.... No way to increase that capacity is there?

What advantage would I gain by moving to the file system? Could I have more attachments that way?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Your attachment table is full - probably 4 Gb. You need to prune some attachments. Also if your server is not running in Safe Mode you should consider moving attachments to the file system instaed of the databae.

Leave a comment:

• RHarbison
    started a topic Attachment Database Full?

Attachment Database Full?

I got the following error this evening while trying to upload some attachments:

"The table 'attachment' is full" (I wish I'd have copied the whole error, didn't think to do it at the time... )

I'm running Vbulletin 3.05 on a Unix system.