login without activation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• login without activation

It seems users can login without verifying their email. As soon as they register, they can login. They don't need to click on the activation link in their email.

Is this by design, or a bug?

Or am I doing something wrong? I do have the require email verification setting on, and the activation email is gone out. And the user group is 3 after they register.

They will be able to log in, but they might not have the same permissions as activated members.

Adjust the permissions of the 'Users Awaiting Email Confirmation' usergroup to your liking.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply. I looked in the permissions, there is nothing preventing them from logging in.

In fact, even a banned user can still login. That's an interesting design.

I really need to prevent them from login completely, as I am integrating other software with vb. Looks like I can add a simple check in the verify_authentication function. But it would be nice to be able to have this option supported in the admin panel, so that I don't have to worry about future upgrades.

Cheers,

Comment

You can set 'Can View Forum' to No, which will stop them from doing anything.
        If you integrate something, just make sure to check that their usergroup ID is not 3.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

it's alright, I got over the immediate problem. I need to change some code somewhere. The easiest for me is to check the usergroupid in the verify_authentication function. Just something I need to keep in mind when I do upgrades. But otherwise, I would have to change more code in Mambo/Joomla!, which I also have to keep track when I do upgrades.

thanks for the help. the quick confirmation helps, or else I would still be doubting this and running tests...

Comment

You need to set this to Yes, otherwise they go straight to the Registered usergroup.

AdminCP->vBulletin Options->User Registration Options->Verify Email address in Registration

If you set this option to 'Yes' new members will not be allowed to post messages until they visit a link that is sent to them in an email when they sign up.

If a user's account is not activated by the user visiting the link, it will remain in the 'Users Awaiting Activation' usergroup.
            vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

conqsoft, I did set that yes. A user in the 'Users Awaiting Activation' usergroup, can login, so does a banned user.

Anyway, my problem is solved. thanks for all the help!

Comment

They can Log In, but they can't do anything if you adjust the permissions for that usergroup, as noted above.
                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Yes, that's not a problem when you use vBulletin alone.

Alright, let me explain my situation in detail. As I said, I am integrating Mambo and maybe other software (PhotoPost) with Vbulletin. With full user integration, a user login from VB is recognized as a logged in in Mambo, and vice versa. Now, I really don't want to have to change all the code in Mambo to check the VB usergroupid before doing anything.

Also, what is the point of allowing people to log in without letting them do anything? I wish an option to disable people from login can be added to the admincp in a future version.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X