No announcement yet.

Restoring database via SSH - Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring database via SSH - Problems?

Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've followed the directions in the manual to the dot, but nothing is happening lol.

What I'm trying to do is restore a database - but in a database that doesn't have the same name as the one I had before (I'm not sure if that matters or not). But, when I try to restore the database via SSH and enter the command as stated in the manual, nothing happens. All it does is bring me to the help menu of MySQL.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

PHP: v. 4.3.1
    MySQL: v. 4.1.11
    Technology Reporter at the DailyGadget; Webmaster of PalmForums.org.

Does the database you are restoring to exist?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Can you post the command (minus passwords) that you use to restore the database
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Yes, the database I'm restoring to exists. vB works fine there.

I used mysql -u username -p (password) -h (host and hostname) < /(path)/(to)/(backup)

Comment

What is (host and hostname)? This will not work unless that host accepts remote connections from your server.

Also you don't specify a database name.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            What is (host and hostname)? This will not work unless that host accepts remote connections from your server.

Also you don't specify a database name.
            hostname is vb35.palmforums.org and vb35 is the db name. Sorry, sometimes I get the hostname and db name mixed up, so in reality I put the hostname then dbname.

Comment

Then the other isssue is that this host needs to be configured to accept remote connections from your server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                Then the other isssue is that this host needs to be configured to accept remote connections from your server.
                Can you explain a 'bit more so I know what I'm talking about when I call CS? .

Comment

Not really. They need to configure their server to accept remote MySQL connections from your server. I don;t know how to do this myself.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok I'm almost there. How do I bypass the "database exists" message?

Oh, before when nothing was happening...i figured out that there wasn't supposed to be any space between the -u and username, -p and password, and -h and hostname...

Comment

What's the complete message?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

you creating a new empty database to restore to ?
                        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X