Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to charge a $10 fee per new thread in my classified section

Hi

Yep my sites clasifieds section is ROMPING along!

Lots of commerce,

Me and the webites co-owner not getting a SINGLE penny of it.

I dont want to get too deep into auction software (I would if I could co-opt out the auction admin work to a 3rd party that would handle security & dispute issues.. I dont want to carry THAT hot potato.. any suggestions?)

But I DO feel a charge of $10 per "thread start" in the classifieds would be totally fair...

Folks are FREQUENTLY selling items worth over $2,000

How can I do this please?

I am using VB3.0.7

Charge for thread creation in one designated forum? (all susequent posts on the thread are free / no charge)

PayPal = fine

(BTW If no provision exists for it at this time, could you point me in the direction of someone that could write a hack for a fee? What should that cost?)

Leftfield ideas welcome...

TIA

Sitepoint does this - i'd also like to know if there's an easy way of making it happen.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

OK, someone suggested I make a group that has, say... ONE DAY to post stuff and I charge them $10 via PayPal for the privilidge.

But...

I seek clarity...

-------------------------

Can the forum permissions be organised in such a way so that the NON PAYING GROUP can RESPOND to threads free of charge?

And with only the PAYING GROUP able to START A THREAD? (within say a ONE DAY time frame limit?)

-------------------------

Cause I think that could work fine..

Sellers who have paid $10 could post up an items on that ONE DAY & could keep 'bumping' the thread up & answering questions indefinateley.

Gooooood part would be the thread titles NOT BEING ABLE TO BE EDITED! (cause that prevents someone paying the $10 once - then editing the thread title / items for sale each time they want to sell a different item......HOW-EVER - clever vendors WILL gradually learn I suppose. to post GENERIC thread titles like - AMAZING STUFF FOR SALE - and post up NEW ITEMS half way down an existing thread...)

Hmmm...

I feel I am getting warm... just need someone who understands the permissions fully to clear up the above questions...

And this one - WILL IT WORK?

Thanks v much again..

Jules

Comment

What if. . .
        you created a usergroup using the subscription funtion. $10/24 hours
        Only those whose have paid can start a post in your classfieds section for a period of 24 hours. Obviously once the thread is started they can continue to add to it though. Also what stops someone from posting in another section until a mod moves it?

Will the honor system work?
        Someone sells something the make a paypal contribution?
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti
          What if. . .
          Only those whose have paid can start a post in your classfieds section for a period of 24 hours. Obviously once the thread is started they can continue to add to it though.
          YEP!

What would stop someone posting in another secion? - That would be moderators suspending their access to the forum altogether until such time as they agree to abide by the rule not to!

Honor system - that would be a NO GO - a lot of the sales people dont give a rats a** about the core group..There is nothing to compel them to be honorable.

I feel this is gonna work...

Thanks

Any fuirther thoughts?

All are welcome....

Comment

Would someone please (be so kind as to walk me through how I can

make it possible for everyone REGISTERED to see this one forum

make it so only Subscribers have permission to START threads in this one forum..

(I dont want to mess it up and have folks wanting simply to VIEW the forum suddenly get a message "you need to pay $10" to view the forum (cause that isnt what I want)

Thanks

(going back to have another look...)

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti
              What if. . .
              Only those whose have paid can start a post in your classfieds section for a period of 24 hours.
              I am confused as to what happens AFTER the 24 hours..

It's not clear to me how a paying user REJOINS our default group "Registered" after the 24 hours is up?

Can this be automatic & trouble free?

I dont really want to mess with passwords / new avatars etc

i cant figure it out on the admin pages..

HELP!

(please)

Thanks very much

Jules

Comment

I think I have figured it out.. the key was to set the new user group to be "no change" but to tick a box that ADDED an EXTRA usergroup - that I have called "Classifieds posters"

Hopefully that will work.. and not mess everything up..

Now all I have to do is break the new charging news to people!

They are going to go MAD!

Comment

A suggestion has been made

5 free Thread creation permissions per member..(no time limit)
                  $2 per Thread THEREAFTER via pay pal
                  No bumping own threads

Sound like a hack job to me...

Or can I do this without a hack?

Help oh brainy ones!

Thanks in advance

Comment

I just make the posts in my classified sections "Moderated". That way their posts don't show up until I approve them which doesn't happen until after I verify their payments. It's a lot less work than making a new user group and putting the user in that group and then removing them from it after 24 hours. Granted, I'm not running auction software though I have considered that at one point in time.

Just my .02 worth.

Comment

Interesting..and thanks Beth..

Do you make any use of the built in PayPal option in the forum software?

Comment

I wish. I never knew there was such a funciton. Our classifieds aren't booming anyway so there's never really been the need to look outside my control panel.

Comment

Gotcha.. there is a "paid subscription' function in VB3..

I think I will be using it some day..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X