Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanaSoft
    replied
    I assume those are converted by vBulletin during the migration process.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by DanaSoft
    I guess I wasn't really following what was going on - Jerry implied that the process was "very difficult" to which I was saying that it shouldn't be as such with more recent versions. Your post that it only takes 4 SQL statements sounds correct.

Either way, glad that it is that simple. Keep in mind that because vBg uses userids as its directory structure you won't be able to do the merge without alot more work.
    vBulletin does the same things with its attachments

Leave a comment:

• DanaSoft
    replied
    I guess I wasn't really following what was going on - Jerry implied that the process was "very difficult" to which I was saying that it shouldn't be as such with more recent versions. Your post that it only takes 4 SQL statements sounds correct.

Either way, glad that it is that simple. Keep in mind that because vBg uses userids as its directory structure you won't be able to do the merge without alot more work.

Leave a comment:

• ywang98
    replied
    When I was changing integration from phpBB to vBulletin with Photopost, the id's were misaligned. Instead of helping me with a script to change that, I was asked to pay to get that done. Well, yes you have the right to charge for a service, but Jerry helped me migrate from phpBB to vBulletin for free. He went beyond his call of duty to help me and got things running.

I went elsewhere for the id change script, and I got help for free. It was just 4 SQL statements that wouldn't have taken that much time and effort that justified charging me money. But this is just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• DanaSoft
    replied
    Jerry,

I'm not sure I am really following you, but in the past the userid was used as part of the filename during uploads; with the v5 release of PhotoPost we no longer do this, so the "rigidity" that used to be a part of older versions no longer applies. If for some reason you have to update userids, then you would only need to update the userid field on the PhotoPost side as well - no file renaming necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by DanaSoft
    Can't say I've ever had a customer ask about merging a board with another one; but since I imagine during a merge you have to update the userid's in the new table - it's not really that big of a deal if you update PhotoPost's as well.
    I've done quite a few and its very difficult as PhotoPost is very ridged and will not allow id updating, I've tried approaching them about this and explaining how imports and merges work though not to much avail I'm afraid. I think they have made some efforts to see it in balance and have released a script to do it, the other suggestion is to force the userid's in vBulletin to break the database just so PhotoPost is ok.

Leave a comment:

• ywang98
    replied
    Thank you for clarifying. I guess you are part of the Photopost team?

You get my drift. A good piece of software isn't just the code. Support is definitely a large part of it.

Don't get me wrong. I love Photopost, but I have the curse of not knowing PHP. I think most people who asked for slight modifications have the same issue. Since not all installtion are alike, you have to expect requests and have to answer them to a certain degree. If you think that support is better now, please keep up the good work. I'll check back in there later when I need more help.

Leave a comment:

• DanaSoft
    replied
    Last time I checked, the author of Albinator had abandoned the project and the person who tried to take over stopped selling the product and support was nonexistant.

As for support, there is an active How Do I...? forum where the support staff takes the time to at least point people in the right direction. But that doesn't mean we're going to customize your installation or code modifications on demand.

Keep in mind, when you have a couple dozen customers its much easier to handle support than when you have thousands; and its not unusual to see startups go through growing pains when their product takes off and the demands on everyone's time becomes great. We've had to slow down our development (we used to release updates every 90 days) so that we can focus more on support and I think that time is paying off.

Leave a comment:

• ywang98
    replied
    Oh, I am not knocking down a software because of support. I am stating a fact that yes, Photopost is a great software. The fact remains that the reponse and the willingness of the support team here at vBulletin is outstanding, regardless of asking for a small mod or just regular support. And the fact remains that the support response for Photopost is less than saftisfactory, when compared to vBulletin. It is a love/hate relationship when it comes to Photopost. I love the software for its functionality, but I really hate the attitude of the support team. Albinator is another software for photos. Their software is ok, but their support team will bend over their backs for you. It is all in the attitude. Photopost can be the best software in its class if their support team can learn from the attitude of the Albinator team.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    This should be in chit chat forum?
    Plus knocking a proggy down cause of support is not a good thing. It should be on the quality of product. I see alot of proggies that only have peer to peer help for support, like vbulletin.org for one do not knock it just cause of support.
    Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Fri 16 Sep '05, 3:42pm.

Leave a comment:

• DanaSoft
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry
    If you ever merge a board that has photopost with your own you are going to have trouble I'm not sure about vBa.
    Can't say I've ever had a customer ask about merging a board with another one; but since I imagine during a merge you have to update the userid's in the new table - it's not really that big of a deal if you update PhotoPost's as well.

As for vBg, since they use userids as part of their file structure, I would imagine it would be much harder as our system wouldn't require the moving of images at all.

Originally posted by ywang98
    when it comes to slight modifications
    It's true that we don't support mod's to the code - but that isn't any different than here at vBulletin. However, I have developed, posted and support dozens of modifications over the years.
    Last edited by DanaSoft; Fri 16 Sep '05, 3:38pm.

Leave a comment:

• ywang98
    replied
    I use Photopost integrated with vB. It is nice, but I'd have to say that the support on Photopost is terrible when it comes to slight modifications and etc. vB is the best support forum software that I know so far.

I don't know about the support of vBadvance. If you are going to run Photopost straight without modification at all, it is a very nice piece of software. If you want any sort of modifications, good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    If you ever merge a board that has photopost with your own you are going to have trouble I'm not sure about vBa.

Leave a comment:

• DanaSoft
    replied
    PhotoPost has many more features than vBg, you should compare them and see how much more you get by going with PhotoPost.

Leave a comment:

• pulsorock
    replied
    Thanks! Keep the opinions coming

Leave a comment: