Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does vBulletin run on a WINDOWS based server? RackSpace says no.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does vBulletin run on a WINDOWS based server? RackSpace says no.

I need to run my vBulletin on a Windows-based server. While I was having issues with apache and php earlier today, the new ISP now says the problem is that vBulletin will not run on a Windows-based server PERIOD.

Can you confirm this?

When I spoke with the folks at ThePlanet.com, they said it CAN be done.

Rackspace says anyone who tells me that anyone who says it 'will' run is 'lying'...("lying" was their word.)

Rackspace is wrong. I'd estimate roughly 1/4th of our customers are running vB on Windows servers. vBulletin will run on any OS that has functioning copies of PHP and MySQL installed, including Windows.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

vBulletin will and does run on windows servers.
      I've run it on windows servers myself.

Be aware that you'll need both PHP and mysql installed for it to run though.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Its more than possible, some of our users here do it. I do it at home, via apache2 and one day I will get it to work with IIS too (but many others already have it working with IIS)

Chances are THEIR configuration of windows won't run vBulletin. But PHP and MySQL are OS independant, they run no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          Chances are THEIR configuration of windows won't run vBulletin. But PHP and MySQL are OS independant, they run no matter what.
          That's what the people who migrated my data said.

Ok...case closed. I'm moving to ThePlanet.com

Comment

BTW, I just got off of the phone with RackSpace (again), and they say that the bottom line is that PHP was designed to run in a Linux environment, and any any application, including Vbulletin, which uses php will, "always have problems in a Windows environment, no matter what the software developers say."

Comment

Lies, they dont know what they're talking about. True running PHP as a CGI on IIS will kill the system performance wise. If you use an ISAPI filter its fine as long as you dont have too many extensions since some might not be thread safe and crash the server.

We have many customers who have large boards running on Windows machines without problem.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

PHP was designed to be a programing language, it runs independantly of the OS. It doesn't care what OS it runs on, and it runs near the same on every OS with minor differences.

MySQL was designed to be the same way, it runs on windows the same any other program would.

Both PHP and MySQL will run fine, regardless of your choice of OS. Be it windows 2000/3 (I'd take 2k3 over 2000) or some varient of *nix.

*nix is cheaper to push onto the customers most of the time, licensing it is cheaper than licesing windows

Comment

All, in all, I have to say that RackSpace sales is pretty shady (their customer tech support is actually very good.)

I just had another RS tech look at the server, and he feels that the entire configuration I'm on will not support my sites, and that I should be on a Dual Proc Xeon w/ 2GB ram. (which is what I requested. or something comparable.)

He's the only one in the company who has admitted that this solution will not work.

Comment

Originally posted by PcosKat
                    All, in all, I have to say that RackSpace sales is pretty shady (their customer tech support is actually very good.)

I just had another RS tech look at the server, and he feels that the entire configuration I'm on will not support my sites, and that I should be on a Dual Proc Xeon w/ 2GB ram. (which is what I requested. or something comparable.)

He's the only one in the company who has admitted that this solution will not work.
                    High pressure sales + blatant lies = walk away.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X